2008 Pontiac G8

2008 Pontiac G8 Preview The 60's had its Goat, we have our Gate by Thom Blackett What it Is

2008 Pontiac G8 -- 2007 Chicago Auto Show Preview: Pontiac: Designed for Action. No known antidote. Street cred. Starstruck. Performance. Passion. Those are the keywords and phrases Pontiac's marketing machine uses to describe its lineup. Problem is, this amounts to a promise largely unfulfilled. Or is it? If the all-new G8 sedan, based on Australia's Holden Commodore, impresses from behind the wheel as much as it does when being gazed upon, Pontiac's marketing hype might actually prove credible. At least in this one isolated case. When it goes on sale during the first quarter of 2008, the rear-wheel-drive G8 will come in attractive yet subdued base trim, and tire-squealing, drift-friendly, 362-horsepower GT guise. Yeah, baby.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

Problem is if its based on a Holden Commodore then its not "All New" as they say. Its just a recycled product which appears to be new in the US. If pontiac really can't build anything new from the ground up it should not be labeled all new. As long as Pontiac continues to use that old bait and switch crap then they also have no street cred. That sucks and that crap should be stopped if GM wants to recapture any credibilty.

Reply to
Tyrone Pookie Berkowitz Jr

Well, I don't think much of GM's internal politics, but I feel compelled to say that I LOVE the Australian cars. Everything they have is rear drive with independent suspension. I'm glad to see the G8. At least the motor's turning the right wheels for a real driving enthusiast.

By golly, Ford would do well to bring its Australian products over here too.

Reply to
Joe

lol, there's an early 90's Mercury Capri at my shop right now. The body sticker says it's made in Australia.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

But the VE Commodore on which the G8 is based is brand new. It was just released in AUS late last year. This is quite different than when the Monaro was brought over as the GTO. The Monaro had already been on the market in AUS for several years, hence the outdated styling.

I LOVE the G8 and can't wait to buy one! I don't care where it's built or what GM badge is on the car, it's exactly what I've been waiting for GM to sell here in the U.S.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky