'89 Bonneville hell

I have an '89 Bonneville SSE that was generously donated to me over a year ago. Other than having to replace the water pump and driving with the windows down to avoid the mold/mildew smell from the leaking roof?door?rear window.... it has been running fine until a few months ago.

At some point over the last couple of months it has started act oddly. There have been several times when I've had to let off the gas and very slowly gas it to get it to engage. Trying to get a handle on when it actually had a problem it seemed as though it was most pronounced while turning. I would be at a light and then procede through a left hand turn and have to completely let off the gas and throttle it slowly; otherwise, the engine would just rev.

Today, all of a sudden, it started in continuously and died when I stopped at a light. Now it does not even pretend to start. No crank. A slight click in a relay somewhere but mostly just silence....

The antilock brake light same on before this happened. It would go off when I hit the brake but then would come back on after releasing it. Also, when turning the ignition switch the lights on the dash and radio flutter dramatically... not just a dimming but on and off several times before setttling on....

Any thoughts?

thanks

-M

Reply to
Michael Neilly

Michael Neilly

There are some things that come to mind. It sounds as though you have some electrical problems, and included in that you may have a loose battery connection, or loose ground elsewhere on the car, or a corroded ground. Your starter may also need replacing.

Have you checked the transaxle fluid? For condition and level? My sister had an old Oldsmobile that the trans fluid was AWFUL and it also would slip exactly as you describe, only during turns, and left particularly.

The other things that you mention such as the ABS light, may be just a very difficult electrical problem to find. But, it may also be something such as a speed sensor. I'm leaning towards the first. Have you checked the car for codes? Or has the engine light came on? A good thing is that even if ABS fails, your brakes still work. :)

Keep us updated on what you find.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Ended up replacing the alternator... All seems well as long as I don't turn on the AC. If I turn on the AC then the voltmeter for the battery drops from 13V to ~10V.

I just had the transmission flushed and fluid replaced a couple of months ago. Didn't help....

Reply to
Michael Neilly