'90 sunbird chip

hey there. i just got myself a '90 sunbird for $500 canadian and am having some slight problems. well its not really a problem... the engine seems like its misfiring and sounds like it struggles a bit. usually this is in the morning when the engines cold. i replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and ignition wires. also just did an oil change if that matters. my dad tells me it might have something to do with the computer chip but i dont know anything about them. if anyone has any advice and if you know how much a new chip and what its called(i've seen ppl mention eprom's and ecu's) well if you can help me out that'd be great. thanks

PS: if you need more info about the car just lemme know

Reply to
William Filcox

With those performance chips I think you need to run high octane.

Reply to
Paradox

Is this the 2.5 Iron Duke w/throttle body injection?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A6=2D?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A

My car does the same thing even though it's a completely different car, I also suspect the ECU (Main brain computer) as the source. I myself have ordered a replaceable performance chip from

which is $250 + S&H. I've wanted one anyway, so no better time than when mine is probably defective. It does require you to use high octane gas.

I realize you are probably just looking at replacing the original with the same, being an older car and just wanting it fixed. You can get a new original most likely ONLY at the dealership for $100 to $200. I would probably have them install it for you not because it is a difficult job it's really quite easy. But the ECU is SO sensitive that you could break it without even knowing. A typical static electricity shock from your body is 4,000 Volts!!!! A simple shock of 100 volts, which you wouldn't feel, could damage componets. So in the case of them installing it, if something is damaged, it's on their shoulders.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Better yet. Goto a junk yard, pick up an ecm for 25 bucks, disconnect the negative battery cable and put in the 25 dollar ecm. If you screw something up go buy another one for 25 bucks. You got 8 tries to get it right before you hit the 200 buck dealer price. Plus what ever labor they tack onto that. Most likely you'll get it right the first time and theres no reason to spend 200 bucks on a new ecm for a car thats 13 years old.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Bone- ne - ville wrote: Theres no reason to spend $200 bucks on a new ecm on a car thats 13 years old.

You'd think I'm crazy for what I spend on parts for this 13 year old car. I'd probably buy a new ECM for mine car ( Still the original ) if it ever fails. That type of part I wouldn't want to buy from a junkyard car, no telling how long it will last. I'd prefer new.

I love watching these guys in the junkyard take altenators off hoodless cars that have been getting rained on all year and think there going to get a great bargin for a part thats rusted to hell on the inside, only to save a few dollars, then risk getting stranded somewhere at 2 AM only to have to redo the job again.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face