94 pontiac gran prix funny noise from tranny-help!

My tranny; at least I think its coming from the tranny, is giving off a "whinny" sounds at low speeds. when idling, you can hear a whinning noise even in neutral. Go slow and it increases with the rpms and you can't hear it in 3rd or 4th gear. When i slow down to come to a stop, the tranny drops down to 1st gear. It is at this point, I feel the noise is coming from. Anyone got an idea of what is going on? years ago, there was something called a "throwout bearing" which tended to cause trouble. Could this be it? Thanks for any help. appreciate it.

Reply to
John5240

Craig Watts