95 Bonneville Interior light

Hi all! I got a 95 Bonneville with 105K miles on it. Recently, I noticed that the interior light (the one above the rear passanger door) doesn't turn on when I open doors. I tried to turn it on, and the button switch just fell out. So, now I got an empty groove where the button used to slide and the light won't turn on. I tried to put a piece of wire through the groove hole to hook it on to something in order to put the switch in the position where the light turns on whenever you open a door. However, I was unsuccessful.

Can anyone suggest what to do? All I need is to put the switch/circuit in a position where the light turns on whenever I open a door. Can the overhead light assembly (it includes the light and the handle) be disassembled/dismantled so I can put the switch in the proper position? Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Steve B.

Knowing about GM's quality (I've owned several) the socket itself has probably melted. You should be able to just pull the whole light unit out with a bit of luck and then you can examine it.

Reply to
Phrederik

You can try a variety of glues to try to fix it. J - B Weld may work the best. You cold also try to get one from the junkyard or get a new one from the dealer, but it is probably sold as one unit with the handle.

Man ! Only 105,000 miles, sheesh !

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,400 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

So, can that whole light/handle assembly be dismantled? It looks like there are two clips/pins holding it tight to the upholstery. How do I tackle them? Anything else I would need to do?

Reply to
Steve B.

I'm not sure how the assembly is built as I never worked on a car that had a roof handle / light combo. I would guess two screws hold it to the roof. Once you get the handle off then it can be examined on how to go about getting the light out.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,800 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face