97 Grand Prix Electrical Shutdown

Scenario that has been happening infrequently, but becoming more frequent, is this...

I unlock the car, insert the key in the ignition....all is well

Turn the key and before the starter engages, all power is lost. All lights and sounds cease. The ignition key cannot be moved in any direction or removed. ( I really don't understand this i I thought the switch was strictly a mechanical movement) Nothing visible on instrument cluster.

Open the hood and loosen the positive battery terminal. Relays can be heard actuatuating when a cable to battery connection is regained. Generally, get back in the car and it starts as it normally does. The clock has defaulted to "1:00"

One morning last week, this cycle repeated 4 times before I got to a normal ignition!

I'm surprised that I get a complete disconnect of all battery power. An inability to start due to a started or ignition problem would not take down all power distribution. Battery terminals are clean!

Looking for clues. I have talked to the service manager at the local Pontiac dealer and a friend who is a service manager at a Chevy dealer. Neither has ever run across this problem. Any help is appreciated.

Wib

Reply to
wib.kinneman

Shep