99 Grand Am - a/c compressor will not engage

Anyone seen this before?

I have a 99 Grand Am and when the A/C button is clicked the light comes on but absolutely nothing happens (the compressor never engages). I've checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. One coincidence is that this issue started when I changed out the battery last week. Any ideas?

Reply to
Zacnet

The light in the button takes power from another circuit. Assuming that you used your dvm to run voltage, ohms, and energization checks on the fuses and relays, that leaves switches, sensors, wires, wire plugs, system pressure, compressor clutch, and a bunch of other stuff.

Reply to
« Paul »

This is a common problem when the freon in your A/C system is low. There is a low pressure switch I believe on the high side of the A/C system that will not allow the relay to engage, you can verify this by jumping the A/C relay and the clutch on the compressor should pull in. Recharge your system and it should be fine.

Reply to
corky