Broken bolt Removal Tips

For Christmas of 2002 I got a handy dandy Craftsman Broken Bolt / Stripped Screw Head Extractor set.

Any tips for using them to remove two broken valve cover bolts?

The bolt diameter around the thread is .245 thousandths. The end of the bolt has no thread on it for an 1/8 ", there is only 1/4 " of thread showing below the steel sleeved collar the bolt slides through.

These bolts were super easy to snap off.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 300 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

have fun, its a cinch. just get a drill and drill down into the bolt about one inch, then screw and EZ out into the hole, it turns counter clockwise and then the bolt comes out. use lots of WD40 spray lube and dont get drunk for this one. or just hammer a small cold chisel into the hole by the time you drill down an inch the bolt wil be loose from the vibration of the drill

Reply to
GREASY DICK

Aluminum heads? Is there any bolt still sticking out? If aluminum heads and steel bolts, was any anti-seize used during assembly? Got a torch?

Sorry to seem picky but it does make a diff. If you have pics but no place to host them say so and I'll email so you can put some links to pics up so we can SEE what's up.

My Dad was famous for twisting valve cover bolt heads off. I learned the use of heli-coils at a young age.

Reply to
FBR

Aren't the heads on that 3800 cast iron?

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Not all, that's why I asked. Hated to seem like a wanker and give an answer without all the info.... LOL

Reply to
FBR

Cast Iron heads, no piece of bolt sticking up, no anti sieze used.

The bolts broke putting them in not taking out.