After 13 years............

I finally discovered what I think is the drain hole for and unexpected heater core rupture.

Had to slide under to the middle of the car to reattach the rubber loop hangers ( just behind the converter ) that stabilize the exhaust pipe to the unibody. Apparently when a new converter was installed the hangers were unhooked from the metal hanger hook. Now what year did they do that ?

Anyway...when I was looking at all that tangle of hoses & pipes around the rack & pinion unit I saw about a half inch long plastic projection ( drain tube ) sticking out from under the passengerside firewall area. Its view is completely blocked if your looking for it while laying under the engine or trans.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 300 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

"Harry Face" wrote

You are probably seeing the A/C drain tube. There is no drain tube for the heater core, (at least no specific one). Most times on most GM cars, a heater core leak will spill into the passenger compartment.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I replaced my heater core on my 94 Sunbird. There was a drain tube from the plastic that housed the heater core which would direct the leak out on the driveway & not inside the car.

Reply to
Jim A.

I put a piece of garden hose up the rubber elbow on my G/A. Now I can see when water comes out and it no longer drains onto the sway bar bushing.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

"Jim A." wrote

You must have a special one. I've done lot's of heater cores on J-body vehicles, and if the core itself is leaking, it will leak into the passenger compartment. Cleaning up the carpet usually takes longer then replacing the heater core.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian wrote : Most times on most GM cars a heater core leak will spill into the passenger cpmartment .

eeeeeEEEEEEEE!!!

I don'twant to hear that !

At least my 89 Z -24 had a rubber drain tube.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 300 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

It's the AC drain tube Harry. My 87 Chevy Cavalier Z-24 .. well when the plastic heater core hose decided it needed to split, leaked about a gallon on Antifreeze on the passanger side floor board. It wasn't much fun cleaning up the mess.

Reply to
clevere

Harry , The tube you`re seeing is the drain for the A/C evaporator core. This lets the condensation from the core run on the ground instead of filling the heater plenum. I have seen them get plugged and run the water all over the floor in the pass com. Look under youre car on a hot day with the a/c on and you will see the water running out of the hose.

Reply to
Philip Wagner

cleever,

My 89 Z -24 discharged coolant from a ruptured heater core out of an L shaped rubber hose on the firewall. one of the pipes broke off mine at

1:30 am backing up the driveway.