broken turn signal lever on 1995 Pontiac Transport

I have a 1995 Pontiac Transport. It has the 3800 engine if that makes any difference.

I'm beginning to think it also has the special POC package, lemon edition. (POC = piece of crap).

When I was a poor college student, I sucessfully took the column apart on my 1982 cavalier for a wiper switch repair. The was in the pre-airbag days.

The turn signal switch has been the final straw for me. It recently broke- it just flops around on the column like the wires are the only thing holding it in. I was able to get the headlights off of high beam mode with it, but cannot operate the turn signals with it. I want to spend as little cash as possible before getting rid of the van and finding something to replace it with.

Can anyone give me any tips on dealing with airbag stuff?

Anyone know of any good web sites with pictures on tearing the column apart?

When I did the work on the 82 cavalier the only "special tools" I used was a wheel puller. I didn't have a compressor tool to get the lock ring off with etc. That is still my situation, but might consider buying a special tool now since although I am still poor, I am less poor than when I was a poor college student!

Thanks in advance for any help!

-The Frustrated Transport Owner

Reply to
David

Most Turnsignal levers are a simple twist & pull out, unplug the wires , Then plug the wires into the new lever, push in & twist to the right ( I think ).

Of course you got to get the broken piece ot of the side of the column too.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Whenever you do anything related to the SIR system, disable it first by locating & removing the appropriate (SIR) fuse/fuses. This way at least you won't have an inadvertant deploy signal (+12v) delivered to the bag while working in the vicinity of it. There still may be other precautions that should be adhered to. Hope this helps a little.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb