GM front brakes

1999 Monte Carlo 100,000 miles, brakes turned at 35k. Pads replaced at 65k with no turned rotors.

Damn, I've never had any DAMN luck with those front brake rotors and pads. Seems the inside (towards the engine, piston side) just eats up the rotors.

So I bought some NICE car quest pas for 55 bucks. Dropped the wheel and I'll be damned if I put those pads on those rotors. They are shot. The ridge grove is so bad I'll have to decompress the calipers to get them off the hub.

The reason I'm posting this is I've got to invest in some good rotors. Last car I turn them (94 Grand Prix) and the shimmy never when away throughout the life of the car. I saved a link or two this past year:

" Everything you need is here:

about $2500-$3000 you can have good brakes.For about $5000-$6000 you can get titanium/carbon brakes.On the other hand, you could trade your car in on a GT.The GT has better brakes than the SE."

I don't have the time left in the week to order something on line and wait for UPS truck to drive up. Any suggestions on some GOOD rotors in a down the street store I can go to?

TIA

Reply to
Craig Watts

Turn them before putting on new pads or they wont contact the surface fully and make sure you understand how to seat your brakes after installing them.

Were your rotors ever checked to make sure they werent to thin or would become thin before the life of the pads were up? If your rotors are to thin your caliper piston come out to far they dont do a very good job of retracting and the pads can rub or drag while you arent braking.

They were never turned so yeah you're going to have a big ridge.

CGI Error

I have no idea what you are pricing there but it sounds outrageous. Sounds like the braking system of a race car and wouldnt have any advantage on your daily driver, at least not enough to justify the cost.

I usually buy wearever semi-metalic brake pads and the cheapest rotors I can find which is usually 20-25 bucks a rotor. If I go 30k on them and the rotors need replaced after that it is fine by me (no turning cost). I only have about 80 bucks total in my front brakes and compair that to the dealer wanting 80 bucks for each rotor. I drive a 98 bonneville and that big car stops just fine.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville