Check Engine Light

So the service engine soon light just starting coming on in the 2000 Grand Am (4-cyl) when it began to get colder outside. The car has around 41,500 miles on it. Although the car seems to run perfectly fine, we'd still like to get it checked out, as we kind of need it to keep running. The dealer wants 80$ just to plug it into the computer, which is a lot of money just to tell us if there is a problem. In the past the dealer has done this for free, but this time the wanted to schedule an official appointment and charge us (maybe because of the season?) Does anybody have any idea what may be wrong? The car was e-checked during the spring and passed without a problem.

And if there are no ideas to what maybe wrong, is there any way to lift the error code from the computer myself? Although I've never had the chance to use an OBD-2 reader before, I'd much rather spend the money on one of those that I could keep using instead of giving it to the dealer. Would the OBD-2 reader tell me whats wrong and allow me to reset the light after I fix the problem? How much do OBD-2 readers run and who makes a good model? Is it worth getting the OBD-2 reader or is there another way to figure out what the issue is? Thank you for any help, J

Reply to
J S

Why not go to your local Auto Zone, Parts America, etc. They usually do a diagnostic test for free. If the problem is more advanced where you need to take it to the dealer then at least you'll know it wasn't something easily remedied. Call around to auto parts shops and ask if they will do the scan for you.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

What do YOU think it should cost for a fully equipped shop to have one of it's fully trained technicians use a tool that costs a few thousand dollars? A minimum charge of one hour sounds fair to me. Of course, I work at a repair shop. You know what it costs for a plumber with a bucket of tools and a crappy old van to come plunge your toilet? Same $80 dollars.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

GW,

You forgot to mention the bonus of seeing Plumbers Crack - You don't get to see Mechanic Crack at the dealer .

Your being charged now, because your car is no longer under warranty.

Good Luck.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,024 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

computer,

thousand

Honestly, if I want the fully trained technicians to fix my car, than that's who I'll take it to. Completely forgot that most places let you borrow equipment, and went ahead and loaned one. Turns out that the same O2 Sensor was tripping two separate codes on the computer. Bought the sensor for 60$. Now I just gotta figure out where this thing sits (it's the one on the exhaust manifold) and what I need to re-torque it to.

J S

Reply to
J S

Wrong again HF. My car is under warranty for another month, and after that, I will buy parts at my shops cost and fix it myself. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Not your car GW the original poster

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,188 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face