Grand Am Gas Gauge

My gas gauge is fare from accurate. Ran out when showing a 1/4 tank. I have seen service bulletins, but no recall. What is the story with this. I am not paying to fix a known issue. Anyone have details?

-- Thank you,

98 Camaro
Reply to
98 Camaro

What year is the car? If the float in the tank has a hole in it, it will fill with gas and sit towards the bottom of the tank.

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

"GT Grand Prix 00" wrote

It's been a long time since I've seen "that" type of float used in a fuel tank.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"98 Camaro" wrote

What year? And I suspect that you will not be the one that decides whether you "pay to fix a known issue". That will be up to the manufacturer.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai
2000

Reply to
98 Camaro
2000 GA

There are TSB's for this issue relating to corroded contacts on the sender/gauge unit. Just want to know how to handle the dealer.

Reply to
98 Camaro

Ian..the 94 has a float like I described...I discovered that when I had to change my fuel pump

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

"98 Camaro" wrote

Are you still under the manufacturer's warranty? Because if not, TSB's do not mean that you get parts replaced even if they are defective. Fuel issues are causing most of the problems with the senders. Some of the fuel issues have been addressed by the fuel companies...but I thought someone posted a link here (or somewhere) about the type of metal used in the sending unit being part of the problem. Anyway, I know I read some article about this.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No, not under warranty. I know the TSB means nothing, but I was wondering if anyone had success in getting the dealer to correct the issue. I just don't want to pull the dang tank. That definitely does not rate highly on my job list, if you know what I mean.

Reply to
98 Camaro