IS MY STARTER JAMMED?

I HAVE A 95 PONTIAC FIREBIRD-3.8LT ENGINE,AUTOMATIC. AFTER MY SON CHANGED THE BREAKS HE WAS WAS TRYING IT OUT AND JUST HAD TO SPIN THE TIRES, THE NEXT DAY I TRIED TO START IT AND NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN. THE KEY WOULD TURN BUT NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN, NO CLICK OR ANYTHING. WE CHECKED THE BATTERY AND CHANGED THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH BUT STILL NOTHING. ALSO WHEN WE WOULD TAKE OFF TOO FAST I COULD FEEL SOMETHING LIFT UP SO ONE OF THE MOTOR MOUNTS MIGHT BE BROKEN SO I WAS WONDERING IF IT LIFTED UP WHEN MY SON SPUN THE TIRES AND JAMMED THE STARTER? SOMEONE ALSO SAID THAT IT COULD BE THE ANTI THEFT DEVICE AND THE IGNITION CYLINDER NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. BUT I WANTED TO TAKE THE STARTER OFF AND HAVE IT TESTED FIRST TO RULE IT OUT AS THE PROBLEM. IS THERE A WAY TO TELL BY JUST EXAMINING THE STARTER IF IT IS JAMMED OR NOT. I AM ON FOOT AND TRYING TO DO EVERYTHING MYSELF UNTIL I CAN GET A RIDE TO HAVE IT TESTED.

Reply to
sweetgracie

impossible to jam a starter by what you did. if it was jammed all you would do is loosen the mount bolts and give it a little shake and that would fix the jam. most likely separated the ignition start wire from the solenoid when the engine jumped. look for disconnected wire and put back together.

Reply to
cooterr

also if it was the theft system, it would start and quickly die, no sound at all seems to be a wiring problem (assuming the battery isn't dead)

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Posting in caps is considered shouting and is very difficult to read.

Reply to
nb