Loose door trim

The lower door trim on my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT started to come loose. It feels like a hard rubbery material, snaps in the bottom exterior of the door and is then held along it's upper portion with a 1/2" wide double sided tape. Of course it's painted to match the car. It started coming loose so I purchased a small roll of 3M Super Strength Molding Tape replace the tape that is there now. When I was removing it from the door it started to break/crack, so I then used a putty knife and managed to get the molding off without doing any more damage. My problem is that now I have this slight (1 inch) break/crack in the upper portion of the molding and am wondering what I can use to glue the crack before I reinstall the molding. I was considering using Titebond II yellow glue, hoping that it would penetrate the hard rubber enough to effectively hold it together. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
BR549

Consider r0ughing the surface then using industrial adhesive such as urethane caulk. Thats what I would do. Don't bother with Lowes Ace Depot. They don't carry it.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Thanks Paul, any suggestions as to the type of store or name of one that may carry urethane caulk?

Reply to
BR549

We get it from Grainger's and use it for industrial sealing. You can check with Lowe's. I did see it there once, briefly. It comes in different colors and runs about $7 for a caulk size tube. The stuff will slowly flow until it sets up in 10 min to

10 hours depending on temp and humidity, so you will have to berm it somehow if vertical, or apply multiple coats. Its very tough stuff, flexible, impervious to just about everything and will be there forever. Unfortunately, the remainder in the tube does not last long after the tube is opened, a few weeks at most.
Reply to
Paul in Houston TX