New here... Restoring a 6000

I'm new to this group and am trying to restore/customize a 1987 Pontiac 6000 (my only set of wheels) on a limited income. It needs some work, plus I'm a Knight Rider fan so... (yes, you can go "uh oh..." and laugh now - I have named my car KITT in honor of that wonderful T/A! ;) As my alias implies, it has "fuzzy dice" in it, bought less than a month after I got the car almost

4 years ago.

The car is in relatively good shape mechanically, though it does need a few things yet. Body has a couple holes but I'm hoping to do some body work on it, too and finally detailing.

Right now, I'm just introducting myself. No real questions. I have limited automotive knowledge and due to a physical disability, it's a bit painful to get tight screws loose on a car if I have to work on it. But I *do* want to work on it myself, and learn how to do more automotive maintenance work. I had a Chevy S-10 before that (my first vehicle which lasted 13 years until it started p*ssing rainbows in the rain, if you know what I mean!) I've done things like replace spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor (in chevy), and in this car I've replaced (with the assistance of a friend to undo and tighten bolts) the thermostat and seal. I'm looking next month (June) to hopefully replace the oxygen and heat sensors myself since the blink codes for the 'service engine soon' light are indicating those are not functioning right. I don't drive it too much but it's been rather reliable most of the time on the road.

I really have some dreams for this car, though I don't know if they'll come true. But I'm working on the body and mechanical (esp. mechanical) first. I don't have a web site up about it yet, but hope to as soon as I get time to make a site (I do web page design so that should be easier than fixing up the car :)

I fell in love with this Pontiac ever since I got it. I want to really customize it nicely. Anyone else out there into customizing give me a hollar as I'd love to share ideas, notes, etc.

If anyone is interested in what my plans are let me know and I'd be glad to post a list of things that NEED doing and things I hope to do with it. The car now has 145,000+ miles on it and runs great. I think it is worth the effort to put into it to restore/customize it. Original engine, original tranny, everything. I don't think there was anything major replaced in it when I got it.

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] My KITT: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles

Reply to
FuzzieDice

Kudos to you and good luck. I bought a basket case about 6 months ago that needed the track mount welded to the under body. after four tryies i think i finally got it right. still working on small bits of cancer here and ther and cleaning the interior.(still need to fix a seatbelt that caught fire during one welding session.

Reply to
Scott

Cool! :) I remember when my mechanic welded the wheels on my Chevy S-10 I had becuase the master brake cylinder would just pop because the wheel was all rusted out and full of holes! He had to solder a plate to rebuild the wheel! Sounds like you got your work cut out for you as well.

What do you use to clean the interior with? My interior is a class-A M.E.S.S.! Very grimy from the previous owner yet (apparently he was also an auto mechanic). The seatbelts in the back seat are so bad I hid them under the seat. They are that dirty. Since I don't have back-seat passengers it isn't a big deal to hide them, really. Would love to know how to get that grime/dirt, etc. off those parts.

Today my friend took KITT to work because her husband was still putting a radiator in her car. Her car is finished now and KITT should be back home in about an hour. :) This weekend I have a lot to do so I won't be doing any work on my car. Hopefully next weekend, if the weather is good.

Meanwhile, I want to get a list of cleaning solvents I'll need so suggestions are welcome.

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] My KITT: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles

Reply to
FuzzieDice

I meant WELD not Solder! LOL!! ;)

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] My KITT: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles

Reply to
FuzzieDice

Here's a body shop tip

I saw an 80ish El Camino today and from the bottom of the front fender back to the rear bumper the area under the body molding was covered by Diamond Plate - also known as Skid Plate. It was silver colored & looked quite good on the car. It appeared to be rivited on.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,040 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

That sounds like a great idea! Although I'm not too sure about the appearance of rivets. I'd like a smoother look. Unless they are only visible at a very up-close examination? Around here in Western NY state, we get some nasty winters and they like to load up the roads with salt. I already have a few holes in the area under the doors. I wish there was a picture example of this technique on the 'net so I could see how it might look. Do you happen to have a link or at least some kind of ideas on keywords to google with?

I want to make my car jet-black. So whatever support, etc. gets put on would probably have to be eventually painted the black color as well.

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] My KITT: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles

Reply to
FuzzieDice

Sorry I don't have any links or google idea's.

One Other thing I remember was seeing a 41 Dodge coupe at a car show last summer. The owner wasn't around when I happened by so I wasn't able to ask him the questions about what & why he did what he did to his car. Anyway the car body was completely covered with Rhino Liner, the spray on lining for pick up truck beds. Chrome & other trim had been removed prior to the application of the Rhino Liner.

After it dreid the car was painted orange. The name of the car was Orange Peel, becasue thats what it looked like. The car was drawing a pretty good crowd and actually looked quite good but it was all bumpy looking. I'm not sure how well the paint would adhere to the Rhino Liner or how long it would hold up.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,540 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Ewww.. LOL! If they had some paint that was like that but smooth and shiny, I'd be wanting it on my car pretty quick! :)

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] My KITT: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles

Reply to
FuzzieDice

You might check out the crinkle finish paint that they sell to paint electronic equipment enclosures. That with some clear coat on top would look a lot like orange peel as well. It wouldn't be quite as sandpapery looking as a rhino liner.

Reply to
john graesser

IOW, it would be smooth and shiny? Basically, I was interested in how someone used such a durable coating on their vehicle. Would be nice. But at the same time I would like it to look very smooth and shiny, like a sports car. :)

I'm thinking of having the car repainted professionally anyway. I wonder now if they have shiny paint jobs that are also more rust resistant that stock paints and also would be less easier to scratch...

This has me thinking... :)