New Struts Cost in Pontiac GA GT

I've got a 2002 Grand Am GT with 120,000 on it and its been making a rattling noise on the front left for the past few months when I go over bumps and uneven roadways. I took it in today and the service shop at the dealer told me its the front suspension and i'll need new struts and an alignment. Quoted me around $1200 to get the job done.

Does that sound about right? Just making sure i'm not getting ripped.

Reply to
paleface23

seems high to me. Struts are usually about 200 each or less. so he is quoting you 8 hours labor at minimum assuming 100 per hour for labor. Get a quote from Firestone or Goodyear or Pep boys,

Reply to
Les Benn

I paid $900 for new struts and springs last year on my GA - and that was pretty expensive, I thought. I actually had a broken spring in the front left. Shortly after I had the work done, I learned that you can easily replace your own struts for a LOT less money. I changed the struts in my wife's Toyota Corolla a couple months later and only spent $150. You can borrow the spring compressor from Auto Zone - and don't forget the helmet!

Take care,

-Chris

Reply to
Christopher Cole