Oil Change Techniques

I used to change oil for a living ..

If you can do it without making a mess (most of the GM 3.1/2.8 series it's messy) filling the filter even 1/2 full before installing it, and making sure to wipe off the filter mounting plate, and putting a fresh coat on oil on the filter seal is an excellent way to change your oil. That way, the filter is already primed, and you have fresh oil being pushed about a split second before you would normally (without oil in the filter). I've done it both ways. Just remember, your engine without oil is simply a block to recycle at the scrap yard.

When I change my oil, I jack up the front of the car, and drop the oil pan plug. I make sure the oil is draining into my drain pan, and not all over my driveway, and let it drip for a bit (with the filler cap off). Then I pour about 1/2 a quart into the engine to help retrieve any old oil sitting in the bottom of the oil pan.. and then I let it continue to drain for about 30 minutes. I then change the filter (dry filter, since it makes a damn mess on my car) plug the oil pan, filler her up, and start her up .. check for leaks .. and I'm done. (Now before you call me crazy, my Olds has over 220,000 miles, and my Pontiac has 158,000 miles on it).

That's how I do it :) When I used to change oil for a living, I would use an exacuation system to remove the old oil from the oil pans of car .. it worked like a charm.

Reply to
clevere

Then I pour about 1/2 a quart into the engine to help retrieve any old oil sitting in the bottom of the oil pan.........

------ Does that oil actually go all the way thru the engine down into and thru the oil pan ?? Wow !

If that does go all the way thru, why not use some kind of " cleaner " to put in the top so it goes thru, and cleans on the way down ??

Also, I like the idea of putting some oil in the filter right b4 installing...I have put some around the rubber filter ring-gasket each time....countless times on a 87 Nissan Pick-up I had with over 240,000 on it before someone else bought for a few hunred, to fix up....

Reply to
SSDUSER

And how many trasaxles, or were you smart and opted for the 3 speed?

Reply to
73blazer

"73blazer" wrote

That was the disadvantage of choosing the 3.3/3.8 engines. All you got with them was the 4-speed. The 3.0 "mrsbitchy" could be gotten with either/or.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Umm yeah, the oil goes straight down into the oil pan. I've got to many miles to put a cleaner in my engine. I want to keep all that sludge that is holding my engine together :)

Reply to
clevere

nope, no one does that just put the filter on wet, but its not nessasary.

Reply to
GREASY DICK

pedal to the floor before you start cranking (fuel injected ONLY !!)

shuts off injectors while cranking

Reply to
TransSurgeon