'99 4cyl. oil change techniques....

what do any of you do if you change you own oil to prevent oil from the filter seeping out allover the engine and making a huge mess? i usually open the drain plug then using a sharp awl poke a couple holes in the top center and wait for the oil to drainout. anyone do something else? i've had the car since new and hace been doing it like this since the 2nd oil change.

mike........

Reply to
JerseyMike

Not that much oil should come out if you use a good filter, the filters have anti drain valves . On cheap filters they may not work. A small rag usualy catches what little drips out.

Reply to
m Ransley

It's inevitable some oil will get onto the engine block while removing the old filter. I keep a can of degreaser ($2 from one of those cheap barn-places) for this. Just spray it on the effected area, then wipe it clean with a rag or paper towel.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I stuff 2-3 paper towels directly beneath the filter and they catch whatever comes out when I unscrew it. Even the Toyota filters I use leak some oil out, but it depends on how long I let the car sit before I start draining it.

Reply to
badgolferman

i wonder why it takes so long for the oil to drain out when the car has stopped running.

mike.........

Reply to
JerseyMike

It's inevitable some oil will get onto the engine block while removing the old filter.

---------------- If you let it drain a while longer before removing the oil filter, should stay completely dry. Go have lunch, wait 45 minutes, leave it over night, etc.

Reply to
Daniel

Fair enough, I'll give it a try.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Yeah just use an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve ( i used the Fram tough guard) and you will get almost no oil after u drain the pan.

=LL

Reply to
Leonel Leal