horn fuse blowing

Hi I have a 96 300tdi defender that i'm trying to get through an mot :-(

When i attempt to sound the horn the 20A fuse blows. If I disconnect the horn, activating the horn button still blows the fuse.

According to the manual, the same fuse supplies the dashboard clock, strangely this continues to run-but slowly. I appear to have about 4.5V at the clock even with the fuse blown!!

Would i be right to suspect a leaky something in the indicator/high beam/horn switch wand on the steering column?

Any help greatly appreciated

Parrocklarry

Everything we thought we knew is wrong

Reply to
bromide

Hi I have a 96 300tdi defender that i'm trying to get through an mot :-(

When i attempt to sound the horn the 20A fuse blows. If I disconnect the horn, activating the horn button still blows the fuse.

According to the manual, the same fuse supplies the dashboard clock, strangely this continues to run-but slowly. I appear to have about 4.5V at the clock even with the fuse blown!!

Would i be right to suspect a leaky something in the indicator/high beam/horn switch wand on the steering column?

Any help greatly appreciated

Parrocklarry

Everything we thought we knew is wrong

Reply to
bromide

Dave wrote.

I had a similar problem with my 90 earlier in the year and a new indicator switch didn't cure it (although in itself it was an improvement on the old clunky one). After much investigation and frustration it turned out to be behind the fuse box where a previous owner had fitted a radio and made the connections to the wiring with those horrid blue clip-on connections that cut into the wire. Removing them very carefully (and the radio) and binding up the damaged wires cured the problem.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Thank you Bob, I'll have a look for that at the weekend. LR have certainly sent the wiring on a tortuous route around the "dashboard" and down into the fuse box. Did you remove the parcel shelf etc during you're investigations? Any tips if you did?

Thanks again, Dave

Reply to
bromide

No, just about everything else though. It didn't help that on one occasion I replaced the fuse with a brand new one and it was broken already!!

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Reply to
bromide