Re: 1992 Bonneville cranks but won't start

I too have a '92 bonneville (230000 mi. but still looks and runs....err ran... pretty good) with something very similar going on with it. In my case my car started stalling after about 30 min. run time but didn't set a code. I figured it was probably either the crank sensor or ignition module. Since the module was far eisier to replace I started there. After I put the new module in I started the car and it ran great....for about 5 seconds then died and wouldn't restart. I checked the codes again and it had recorded a code 58. Checking a Haynes repair manual I found out it was "VATS fuel pump disable". I tried starting it the next day....same thing....ran 5 seconds, died,set "58" code. I made a post on Edmunds and the only response I got was that the guy thought the VATS wouldn't make the car stall after it was started. If that's the case, why the repeated "58". I think some VATS diable the starter and fuel and some just the fuel ????? Have we entered the CODE "58" twilite zone :) ??? Or can anybody out there give us some help. Sure would appreciate it. Thanks..Mike

Reply to
SamIam

I responded to your other post with some info I've learned on the code

  1. My son found a reference that stated it is common false reading on the 92 Bonneville -- a known bug. I think he is right. I suspect you have another problem.
Reply to
Steve K

Reply to
Steve K