Re: 1993 Grand Am

Can anyone give me some tips on 93 grand am air conditioning. Air is cold,

> blower is fine, but am not getting the full thurst of air. Blows, but not > with a lot of force. On Max, will blow decent, but not like it should, like > something is blocked off. Turning to A/C is like it completelely looses > force. Service guy says would have to tear into dash to check on actuator, > or vents. Anything I can check that doesn't require taking dash almost out. > Thanks a lot..

I also have a 93 with AC, and mine is the same way. I don't feel the air blowing until I set the fan all the way to the right. I guess it was built to yankee specs, they didn't expect someone to drive it in 100F degree weather. I guess that either the motor control has shifted or it was just built that way. thanks, John.

Reply to
john graesser

"Jerry" wrote

You should check to see if the evaporater core is getting plugged up. A lot of GM vehicles get a lot of crap built up on the fins of the evap cores which can totally block the air flow when it gets bad enough.

Here is a picture of a plugged evap core:

same one but cleaned out with engine shampoo and water:

If you can find the blower fan resistor pack on the heater/ac housing in the engine compartment, you can often remove it and have a peek inside at the fins of the evap core. Depending on the location of this access hole, you can clean the core through this hole.

This might not be the problem, but it is fairly common on higher mileage vehicles.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You could check the resistor. It is in the firewall behind the engine and below the relays. You could check the blower motor. It comes out from the engine compartment area. Cut on the dotted line and bend the remains outward toward the engine. You may have to rotate the engine forward in either case.

Reply to
pyattts"=?x-user-defined?Q?=40texa=B0s=2Enet?= anyone give m

Reply to
1234

I have a 1993 Grand Am that used to have the same problem. The problem i found was that the Vacuum controls behing the control knobs, Within the Dash. One of the vacuum levers were disconnected thus not allowing the switch from Floor level to top level work properly.

Hope this helps

Reply to
rduran

Low air flow on my daughter's '92 Grand Am was caused by a mat of "stuff" on the fins of the AC's evaporator. What a bear to get to! Removed the blower motor resistor pack and was able to suck the material off the evaporator fins using my shop vac.

Reply to
Silver Surfer