Re: Why aren't foreign cars as good as American cars?

Now I've just about lost all interest in the group. Nick's Fiero had me here but It's Gone. And so am I.

| > OOH, you're a big boy now that your mommy doesn't wash your mouth out with | > soap when you use the word "f*ck" | >

| > btw, my honda accord was built right here in the USA. | >

| > I never had an American car go over 80,000 miles w/o requiring frequent | > repairs. My 87 Nissan Pulsar has 175,000 miles and is still going. My 97 | > Accord has 92,000 miles and is still going strong and I expect it to | > continue doing so for at least another 92,000 miles and then some. | >

| > -- | > SusanR | > snipped-for-privacy@msn.com | | You must be doing something right, AFAIK the Pulsar wasn't really an | example of Japan's finest. | | nate

Reply to
Steven Dinius

You certainly are entitled to you opinion but most Americans disagree with you. American buy more domestic vehicles from GM and Ford than ALL of the foreign owned brands combined, including German owned Chrysler.

mike hunt

Liam Devl>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Fear not my friend, the Fiero won't be dead forever. :-)

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Cars built in the US by domestic manufactures employ American workers as well. The BIG difference is American corporation pay federal cooperate income taxes and Japanese manufactures merely assembling cars in the US, do not. In addition domestic cars cost a lot less than similar size and equipped Japanese cars even though the Japanese pay their workers less in the US and give them fewer benefits.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mayor2

That may be true, but when its my money, my hard earned dollars, I want some value, I want something that is going to run well, be enjoyable to drive, and not fall apart....thats why I go HONDA. I have two Accords, and in 6 years, I have had nothing other than routine maintenance with my 97. I am due for brakes and timing belt...but nothing breaks on the car....NOTHING. The engines are awesome. OH...I did have a motor mount go earlier this year....

My USA cars, were just awful...always something, rattling squeaking. Just awful. Never again.

Reply to
Firebird

I haven't read the posts up to now, but I thought I would just throw in some info here for you guys to play with, since this debate seems to show it's ugly head over and over.

The new Toyota Camry Solara due to arrive next month I believe is and I quote "developed, designed, and built in the US" and Toyota says "is the most American of any Toyota to this date".

The new Saturn Vue's will have an engine designed and built by Honda.

There are SO, SO many cars foreign and domestic that share the same platform, engine, or parts, or all, and it has been happening for a VERY long time!

You'd think this debate would be pointless really.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

My one son has a 2000 Accord that has a leaky tranny and multiple brake problems and his wife's Sable, company car, has had none. The Sable has 10K more on the clock, so what your point?

mike hunt

Firebird wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

My USA cars are great!

1991 175k one alternator, one set of tires + brakes, muffler and oil changes 1992 180k one starter, one alternator, two sets of tires + brakes, muffler hanger ( muffler is still factory ) and oil changes

Speaking of hard earned dollars and by looking at the big picture guess who gets to pay higher taxes and higher medical payments. The more good paying jobs lost the more someone else picks up the tab. The government IS going to get there cut whether it comes from 100 people or 10 people. The people that have health insurance will be paying extra for the people that don't.

So buying Foreign might not be that good of a value. Save a dollar and pay

10 later.

Reply to
Camaro

You get what you pay for. Jap cars cost more to buy, more for parts, and more to service. They have to last longer or nobody would buy them. In the end you pay the same amount... one way or the other.

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

VW has a slant on that. Not a master switch that lowers all windows all the way at once, but by unlocking the doors one can do this....

Only reason I can see for an "all windows down NOW" switch would be those bean burritos y'all been eatin' in the back seat there....

Dave

"Hid in the reeds are eyes that peek, voices I don't understand. Flamingos fly endlessly, To the silent sky"

Reply to
Rufus Leaking

Power windows are for sissies anyway, manual winders are great! Less likely to have an actuator failure and not go up and down at whim :-P

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I've driven a car with all three. Manual windows, power windows, and power windows equipped with express down.

All three have their advantages and disadvantages. So this argument is highly based on opinions. Some people prefer old, some prefer the newest.

I have regular power windows, my girlfriends car has manual windows. Sometimes I love mine, sometimes they annoy the crap out of me. Sometimes I love hers, and really the only annoyance I've found is if I'm driving and want the passenger side window down. The express features I've experienced (on more than one car) are somewhat neat, but sometimes I didn't want the window all the way down, and it went anyway. Maybe they've now improved the design and reduced the sensitivity. Also though, as I was sitting and removed my hand, and the window continued down for another second or so, I thought to myself, "What did I really save with this feature?" I suppose it's appreciated much more in a manual shift car than automatics.

2pennies

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.