1992 Gran Am

1st Thanks I turn on the key sometimes and nothing, no lights on the dash, and it won't start, turns over, no start. I have power, radio inter lights head lights. Shut the key off 1 or a few times and then I have dash lights and it will start. Also once in a while I'll be driving and it will just quit, once again no lights, then It will start. Can anyone think what could be wrong? I'm thinking the computer. Thanks bob
Reply to
Bobby

My 93 had a worn out ignition switch about 2 years ago. Possibly from the 2 pounds of keys I was hanging there from my previous job. It got so bad right before I got it replaced I had to physically hold the key in the on position to keep the car running. You might check to see if you can jiggle the key around while it is inserted, it might not be setting right where it should in start and on. thanks, John.

Reply to
john graesser

Sounds to me like the switch is shot.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?p=B6yats?=" =?x-user-defined?Q?=40tex=B6a

Agreed.

-- GW - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

"p*yats\" @tex*as.netÃ*Ã\"" wrote: Sounds to me like the switch is shot.

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Good advice Tony. Sometimes we newsies focus so much on crazy rare problems we forget to mention that step 1 in an electrical problem is ALWAYS clean and tighten battery connections.

-- GW - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

"T> Check for loose connections at the battery also. My friends car did

Reply to
Geoff Welsh