I know sidecars aren't practical anymore (might as well have a car)

But these still really give me the horn.

I think I've watched The great escape and the Indie movies too often.

Something special about driven wheel sidecars.

BTW, does a driven wheel sidecar combo count as a trike? e.g can they be driven on a car license without a helmet?

Or can the sidecar be technically still removed like a non driven sidecar so it is still a bike with an addition?

Reply to
Elder

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:11:12 +0000, Elder spouted:

IIRC it counts as a motorbike with an addition, unless it's a permanent, non-removable sidecar. I may not RRC though..

I rode a 70s BMW Flat twin thing out in Greece that had a sidecar on it. It was horrid. Apart from it being harder to fall off, I can't think of 1 reason why I'd ever have one.

I want a bike again, not sure what to buy. I have about 1500 or so to spend on one. I know I don't want a sidecar outfit though.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Ducati 750SS.

Not quick, but lightweight, nimble, timeless looks and sounds awesome.

I did 110 miles on mine this morning.

Reply to
SteveH

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:12:51 +0000, SteveH spouted:

Can I really get a decent Duke for 1500 these days? Quick isn't important, but handing and noise are.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

That's what I paid for mine last summer.

Very tidy bike, lots of history, and only around 12k miles on a 1995N plate.

Here's a couple of possibilities:

OK, no MOT but doesn't look like it'll need a lot of work to get one. Budget about £150 for a cambelt change, though.

Again, budget for a belt change.

This looks nice:

Intersting they're all 900s. I prefer the 750 as they have a wet clutch and are allegedly a 'sweeter' engine, but YMMV.

Just avoid the 600 versions.

You'd probably even find a later 'ie' version within budget if you shopped around a bit.

Reply to
SteveH

I just love those 2wd sidecars being thrown arround off road in military spec.

I know they are far less practical than a solo because they take up as much space as a car, and much less practical than a car because you get even less protection and luggage space than even a convertible, but there is something cool about the ww2 german styling in a bike that is "modern" even if that modern is 1970's instead of 1940's.

Reply to
Elder

I think you'll find it's more like 1930s 'modern'.

The Urinals are based on pre-war BMW designs.

Reply to
SteveH

Shame it's a pig to ride in anything other than the summer then really... ;-)

Reply to
DanB

Yes. Apparently I can get a fuel additive to sort that - and super unleaded has also been mentioned.

I'll try it next time I ride it and mention it to the mechanic when I take it for a belt change service.

Reply to
SteveH

Just like yours I presume.

Reply to
Elder

Hmmm, the engine has its roots way back, but it's a 70s design.

The Urinals are just 1930s replicas.

Reply to
SteveH

What was changed?

Reply to
Elder

On the Urinals or on mine?

Reply to
SteveH

Either if they are both based on the 1930s (beyond the obvious capacity increase).

Reply to
Elder

Well, the cycle parts of a Urinal are still stuck firmly in the 30s.

Not sure about the detail on the engines, other than mine has about twice the bhp of a Urinal.

My R100RT was originally designed in the 70s, but updated for the late

80s with a monolever (monoshock) rear end.

Believe me, you really, really don't want a cheap Russian copy of a 70 year old BMW.

Reply to
SteveH

Get Honda Fireblade should get a nice one for £1500, On the Ducati never ridden one but had a Honda VTR1000 & would never buy another twin again. They are just too much like hard work whereas a four is far easier, sings & goes. Just my opinion it seems with twins it's love or hate, I did try & wanted to but just couldn't. So I would recommend a long long test ride before buying one.

Alan...

Reply to
Alan Smith

GSX-R 750. Good fun, quick enough, handle well, and easy enough for a lazy fat bastard like me to ride.

I'm no bike expert, but I don't know anyone with a GSX-R who doesn't seem to be happy with it.

Reply to
Pete M

That's because they look like shell suits on wheels.....

Reply to
SteveH

Trust him on this.

30's BMW used a built up crank, roller mains and roller big ends. Ural still does.
big end lube is primitive
70's BMW from /5 onwards, one piece forged crank, plain journals, split big ends with shell bearings. HIGH pressure lube.

Roller bearings can survive on an oil mist or drip feed but built up cranks flex and walk. Early Suzuki/Kawa 4's with roller bearing cranks had to have pins welded before tuning.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks for filling in the details.

Out of interest, I looked into how much those things are brand new.

£8995.

I spat my coffee all over the screen.

Just what *is* the justification for that kind of money?

Reply to
SteveH