rearview mirror

Hi,

My rearview mirror fell off of my 97 grand prix... Florida sun got to it?? Anyway, I have repaired other rearview mirrors with the rearview glue, etc., but I can't figure out how to get the little mounting button off of the mirror mount. It is surrounded with cosmetic stuff that looks to either be snapped on or ?? How can I get the little plate off? I can't get to it to clean it well, with it on the mirror.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
gifer

I recently had the same thing happen to my 02 GP. The plate does not come off. I tried to put the glue that comes with the kit but it didn't work. You might want to try a auto glass shop. They were able to glue it back on with the metal piece on the mirror. Could not move it for 10 minutes but it has stayed on ever since.

Reply to
Matthew

Thanks. You are right... But I did get the plate off by prying it with a screw driver. But then there is no way after I glue the plate to the glass, to get the mirror back on w/o busting the plate from the glass probably. So, since the dimming feature of the mirror broke too (years ago), I will just get a cheap mirror from the auto parts store. By the way, if your mirro hasen't started "leaking" it might. Mine, leaked out this nasty liquid from inside that was a part of the highbeam dimming I guess. It really isn't worth me putting mine back on the way it is.

Thanks!

Reply to
gifer

You made the right choice by putting a cheap mirror on. Mine has the compass and onstar on it. I was ready to give up and buy a new mirror but they cost $300+ through the dealer. I also tried to pry the metal piece with a screwdriver but did not budge.

Good Luck

Reply to
Matthew Hodges

Mine did that leak too -- and it melted some of the plastic on the console near the shifter!

Reply to
jwardl