mirror glass fell off.

From my 1993 Saab 9000. Bumped into the mirror house when I walked past the car, the mirror gave way as it normally should do, but the glass fell out and broke when hit the ground. Seems that cold temperature (and age) had served to detach the mirror glass from the backing surface, which is still intact. What kind of glue is used to attach a new mirror glass?

Reply to
johannes

johannes schrieb:

If you buy a new glass there is a plastic bracket glued on then back. You just attach the it in the mount. I it is detached the old bracket must be remained in the mount, so you have to put it out. It is a bit difficult to put in the new one, you must lock it with a screwdriver or something like that from little hole in the bottom of the outer casing. If necessary, I can send you an excerpt from the SAAB DIY manual (in german), yout send me an PM.

Greetings Axel

Reply to
Axel Schäfer

Thank you for this. Seems that the mirror has detached from the plastic back. I can still see the heater symbol written in white on the grey plastic. I would be grateful if you send the excerpt to me, I can probably understand the german ok, or I will ask. Remove the numbers from my email address.

Reply to
johannes

I fitted the glass only from Parts for Saabs 16 Pounds incl postage. It sticks on by a double sided sticky pad. The website says that it's not convex type, but it actually *is* convex, so no difference from original. Maybe the heating of the mirror will be less efficient, but it's better than nothing. The real thing would cost about 90 Pounds. For those who are skint, you can get the same from Poundland for ehh one Pound, but that one isn't convex, of course.

Reply to
johannes