Timing

My 1988 Pontiac 6000 (2.5) with 125,000 miles has an issue. (Doesn't it always?) Anyway, anymore, when I start it the car doesn't act like I'm letting it turn over long enough. The engine starts, but it doesn't act like I've let it turn over long enough even though I am. (I also hear a slight belt squeak noise sometimes when this happens also during the time right after I let off the key before the engine starts running.) This morning, the same thing happened, only the car didn't start. When I went to try the second time, the car turned over poorly, (the cranking was erratic - there was no pattern) but I got it to successfully start this time. It does not sound like a low battery, and that poor turning over is the same thing it does when I have my stalling problems when it does not like to stay running that I've talked about before. Once the engine started this morning, it ran fine for two minutes, then it began missing really bad just sitting there in park. It's missed like that before, but not just while sitting there in park. When I gave it a little bit of gas, it still missed. It's probably difficult to diagnose over the Internet, but do you have any ideas what it might be? I was thinking maybe the timing, but I don't know. Thanks.

Reply to
Travis King

Well unless you have changed the timing it is most likely not it. I assume if you did modify the timing you did it according to the directions for your car. Some require the vacuum to be disconnected to set timing. I assume too you have changed the timing belt on the car probably recently, since timing belts on newer cars need to be replaced about every 60,000 miles

if you haven't changed the timing belt ever, I would start with that. it may be worn and skipped a tooth on the belt

Reply to
Les Benn

Reply to
Shep