Trunk seal

Got a "new" trunk weather-strip from the salvage yard for my '92 Grand Am.

There was some kind of off-white looking sealer used on the gutter flange for the original installation. What do I need to use for the reinstallation?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I see what you mean by the white sealer. It may not need anything or you could use dum-dum.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

That's an idea. I absolutely HATE messing around with standard weather-strip adhesive. That stuff is so hard to work with and usually makes an awful mess.

The adhesive mentioned in my shop manual is 3M-08011 or equivalent. Do you suppose that is actually the white stuff and not the usual yellowish, messy crap?

What is the trade name for dum dum and where do you buy it?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

=

Are you sure you need to glue it down? I looked at my 92 and it does not=

appear to need gluing. Some Dum-Dum is 3M weatherstrip caulk. Put dum-dum caulk into Google. The 3M 08011 stuff is a black gooey mess. I don't like to use it. If I HAD to glue it down, I would probably use ordinary clear silicon cau= lk or urethane caulk.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You might be right about not needing to glue it down. The shop manual is a little vague on the procedure, but my interpretation is that you are supposed to install the seal and check for leak. If not leaks it's good to go. If it leaks the instruction is to brush the 3M stuff onto the flange and reinstall.

I have to admire anyone who can use the weather-strip adhesive without making a mess. You're a better man than I.

Reply to
Silver Surfer