Source for those little buttons?

You know the ones on the body that the soft tops snap to? Just like a button thingie on a pair of jeans? Does anyone know where I can get some of those? The ones that were on my Jeep before I painted it were all covered up in paint and look terrible. Also, how about those rubber plugs for the drain holes? I found some but they're about $1.85 each. That's crazy. Anyone know where I can get some of those cheap? Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

They're sold in hardware stores, boating supply stores, boat canvas shops, yardage stores, leather crafts shops, etc.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I recommend the dealer for them.

The ones I have seen in the hardware and camping stores are pieces of crap. They start rusting really fast and don't have a good contact with the soft top halfs.

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I had a convertible top replaced by a professional upholsterer six or seven years ago, and he gave me a handful of male snaps "for spares." Those were the best that I have ever seen, before or since. Two of them are still on the half doors for my Wrangler, where the front of the top half door snaps to the bottom half. No rust yet. I think that they are better than dealer quality.

You are right that most of these things are pieces of crap (or "merde" as some of your countrypersons like to call it) but there is good stuff out there. If you can find a professional with a good reputation for working with convertible tops (a "topper"?) he can probably point you in the right direction.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You're balking at $1.85? Hell the stainless screws, washers and nuts I used to refasten my fender flares cost nearly that per hole. You need to find a good truck and 4x4 salvage yard man :) I got half doors with mirrors at a VA salvage yard for $300 (OEM costs over a grand! plus 70 bucks for the mirrors). This place has like 50 jeeps. I'd bet there's something like it near you.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Simon Juncal wrote: I got half doors with

And where might that be????

Reply to
Retiredff

Now no need to bring politics into this... :-D

Snow..."Dalton who???"

Reply to
Snow

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:11:16 -0500, Simon Juncal shared the following:

Yeah... These buttons are $1.85 for each one that goes in each hole. Sure, $1.85 isn't a lot of money, but it just seems like a lot for a tiny stamped piece of steel with a screw to go with it. I need about

25 of them and $46.25 just seems like a lot to me for the itty bitty buttons. I'm a cheap b@stard. Sue me. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Buy the cheap ones and have rust streaks all over your new paint job after about a month. :o(

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Tell me about it!

I have rust stains on my fiberglass tub from those damn things...

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Fredericksburg 4x4 aka "Monster Joe's" there's also a place down near roanoke (I think) in Glasgow called John's Jeep Works but I don't know much about them as I haven't made the trip down there yet. I swear I could walk around the first place for three days before I got bored (or broke).

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Actually for some reason I was thinking about drain hole plugs, not snaps so I was thinking a few plugs not 25. I wonder if anyone makes stainless button snaps? Anyway I'm cheap too; except when it comes to things that are a real pain in the ass like hinges and flares, where stainless will help in not having to screw with them again.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Close to home. Thank you very much!

Reply to
Retiredff

There must be a source - I bought them in a bag of 50 or 100 (several years ago) at a marine supply shop when I redid a cover for my boat. Never noticed rust or stains, so they were either chromed brass or stainless. Check out a boat supply house - I know I was too cheap and/or broke to pay that kind of price for them or I would have remembered!

Reply to
Will Honea

I ordered some last year from mcmastercarr.com I got stainless steel ones. They weren't that expensive. Search this part number 95690A851. That will get you to the catalog page. Hope this helps. Mark Burns

Reply to
Mark Burns

I ordered some last year from mcmastercarr.com I got stainless steel ones. They weren't that expensive. Search this part number 95690A851 on thir website. That will get you to the catalog page. Hope this helps. Mark Burns

Reply to
Mark Burns

Cool thanks, I'm on a stainless binge. I've yet to put a non stainless fastener back on this jeep.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:53:38 -0600, "Mark Burns" shared the following:

Cool. Thank you, Mark. That's a MUCH more reasonable price. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

no problem cool place, be sure to haggle. Most salvage yards are run by people who just could care less if you aren't one of their drinking buddies. But they even had a good idea of what stuff would and wouldn't fit (tops and doors wise).

Reply to
Simon Juncal