Unable to retrieve Engine Codes

I want to retrieve a "Service Engine Code" using the paperclip method.

I jumpered the pins and put the ignition into on -- the light comes on Yellow but stays solid.

How long should I wait for it to blink?

If it doesn't blink and issue the "12" ok code, what do I do then?

Also, I started poking around the engine and looked in the fuse box on the right fender side. I opened it up and noticed there was no fuse for ECM. I thought the ECM was the "computer" that stores the service codes. Or is it something optional? What's the chances that I'm missing a fuse -- or is the "ECM" just not installed.

Reply to
John Bailo

You'd be amazed how hard it is to answer simple questions like this when you don't tell us what you're driving.

Reply to
Joe

:D

1991 P> You'd be amazed how hard it is to answer simple questions like this when
Reply to
John Bailo

Turn the ignition on first, then jumper the ALDL.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ok, thanks!

I had that backwards.

I jumpered it first...

PS -- Any thoughts on the ECM fuse? How could it be missing -- I would think the car wouldn't run -- or is it an option?

Reply to
John Bailo

Nope.

Still doesn't work.

Turned on ignition, SES light came on solid.

Jumped 6-12 -- no change.

John Bailo wrote:

Reply to
John Bailo

Explain "jumped 6-12"

To extract trouble codes, you should be jumping between cavity "A" and "B" of the ALDL.

Probably because that fuse block is used in a number of different chassis and your particular vehicle has the ECM fuse located elsewhere.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Perfect. My other doc seemed to indicate jumping A-M.

This makes it much clearer!

A-B

Super.

My next quest is to find the Temp. Coolant Sensor. The diagram from the Service Manual just wasn't helpful.

Any hints?

Is it forward, near the radiator, or rear, behind the engine?

Which side?

Reply to
John Bailo

Assuming that it's a V-6 engine The EFI coolant sensor is below the thermostat. Two wire sensor. The coolant sender for the dash is probably in the rear cylinder head. One wire sender.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ok, thanks to you, I was able to pull the engine codes successfully.

I got two codes:

32 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Circuit 45 Oxygen Sensor Circuit (Rich Exhaust Indicated)

I'm wondering if these add up to:

"g. O2 sensor contamination - Inspect oxygen sensor for silicone contamination from coolant, lead contamination from fuel or improper RTV sealant. Silicone contamination will be indicated by a Code 45 and lean drivability conditions and a powdery white deposit on the sensor. The ECM will then reduce the amount of fuel delivered to the engine causing a severe surge drivability problem."

One document indicated that the wrong type of sealant can be used on an oxygen sensor (incorrect RTV or too much RTV sealant).

Reply to
John Bailo