when GRAND AMs attack

My grand am has started flipping out (same one that needs a side mirror). Sometimes it runs ok, then the idle goes haywire; too low to run and it dies, or idles at two thousand (2000) RPM but settles down after half a minute or so, trouble accelerating from a stop. Dies on the freeway when traffic slows to about 20 mph. Service engine light comes on but goes off again awhile later. I took the throttle barrel off and cleaned it but it didn't straighten out.

Reply to
don_knutts

What engine?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

It's a 2.4 4cyl.

I does run a little better after the cleaning, but has real problems. The idle problem is better but hasn't gone away, and the Trac Off light stays on all the time and it slams into gear. Sometimes it runs pretty decent for awhile.

Reply to
don_knutts

Check for vac leaks - it sure sounds like one. Check all the hoses. Then clean and/or check the IAC, TPS, MAF, MAP, MAT, etc.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I better go buy a book. I can't say off the top of my head what all that means. Vac leaks I understand, though, I'll look around at it.

Reply to
don_knutts

Had a grand am ,a 90, 2.4 high mileage. It drove me nuts. Sounds like it could be a O2 sensor. Check for codes in ECM. Mine had the check light come on and off. Shut engine off start up and light goes off. A the sensor is the one on the exhaust manifold. Another possible cause could be a timing chain.

JOHN H.

Reply to
John H