1991 Pontiac Firebird 3.1: Won't run when accelerated. Expert advice needed (2023 Update)

I have a 91 pontiac firebird with the 3.1.. It will crank easily, but rpms will slowly drop off and kill. The car sat up for about 2 years. I've changed plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor and fuel pump on it. We've checked the timing and it seems to be 180 off. No mater wich way adjusting distributer will it change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Ira Brock

It sounds like there may be an issue with the timing on your 1991 Pontiac Firebird with the 3.1 engine. Since you've already checked the timing and found it to be 180 degrees off, it's possible that the timing chain or belt has jumped or stretched, causing the engine to be out of time. Additionally, the fact that the car sat for 2 years may have caused other issues such as gummed up or clogged fuel injectors, a failing crankshaft position sensor, or a weak battery. I would recommend having the engine checked by a mechanic to diagnose the issue and make the necessary repairs.

There are a few additional diagnostic steps you can take before taking your vehicle to a professional mechanic:

  1. Check the fuel pressure: Make sure the fuel pressure is within the manufacturer's specifications. A low fuel pressure can cause the engine to stall or misfire.

  1. Check for vacuum leaks: Use a vacuum gauge to check for vacuum leaks. Leaks can cause the engine to run poorly or stall.

  2. Check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS): Make sure the TPS is working properly. A faulty TPS can cause the engine to stall or misfire.

  1. Check the engine codes: Use a OBD-II scanner to check for any engine codes that may be stored in the car's computer. This can help you identify the issue.

Keep in mind that these are some basic diagnostic steps that can be done by an experienced DIYer and these may or may not be able to identify the issue. It's always best to take the car to a professional if you're unsure about the cause of the problem or if you're unable to fix it on your own.

Reply to
Motors Advisor