WTF?! Strange Problem with Stereo.

I have a 1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE and I am having a problem getting my stereo to turn on. My original stereo went down and I was given another stereo that worked perfectly for about 2 hours. After that the stereo would not turn on. It will display the clock when you push the top button, and it even keeps the time properly. With that being the case, I know its getting power.

Now my questions. If its getting power and able to keep proper time, doesn't that mean that all the fuses are working? What could possibly be stopping it from coming on?

Email me if you have any info, or questions that could spark me into figure out the problem myself.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
WARYA!

I've had this problem happen to me once a long time ago as well. Note that there are TWO power wires that connect to the radio. A "constant" postive wire that supplies voltage at all times, which is why it saves the time and settings. There is also a "remote turn on lead" or "ignition wire" that only supplies power when the key is in the "on" or "run" position. In my case, the remote wire wasn't needed to save or show time and display, but BOTH were needed to turn on.

Most likely, although it COULD be other things, your "ignition" wire was not hooked up correctly, at all, has a short, or a fuse has blown. Look over and check your wire connections carefully. If you have a voltage tester, that may help you a lot.

Reply to
Logghi Barogghi

I have suspected a remote turn on wire myself. I thought though that the remote wire was only for the Amp. I will have to check it. BTW, what color would that wire be? I have tried to changed them all except the two blue wires that I always thought were remote wires anyway. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
WARYA!

First let me say that I wouldn't go guessing, a diagram or multimeter would be best. In my car which is a Pontiac and in my previous car which was GM made, the remote turn on wire was actually Red, and the constant Yellow. Seemed to me it would be the other way around, but that's how they had it in mine.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
Logghi Barogghi