1987 Posrche 944 w/400K(!) miles at $2600 -- good deal?

Greetings,
I've been looking at a Porsche 944 with nearly 400,000 miles on it for $2600. The body is actually in pretty good shape (some minor rust in
small areas) and it appears to be in good running condition. The interior is a mess, however, with several cosmetic repairs needed - in fact, it could use a whole new interior.
The car was listed at $4000 and I worked it down to $2600 due to the very high mileage. I know it will need work and has no real resale value, due to it's age.
I've never owned a Prosche before. Is this a fair price? -- John
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."
- from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 01:12:31 -0500, "Hostile 17"

         Hell no. If you're serious about this car, get a thorough PPI and see what it's going to need in the next few thousand miles. At that age and that mileage, you could be looking at some expensive repairs and replacements, in addition to the interior. Also, seeing a rusty 944 is rare unless the car has poorly repaired collision damage.     You are always better off saving to buy a good example rather than attempting to fix up a junker - for the amount you'd pay to make this car a good one, you could buy a pristine low-mileage '87. There are some on Autotrader right now...     Emanuel
--
1983 Porsche 911
1983 Porsche 944
wrote:

for
in
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:39:15 -0500, "Hostile 17"

    Sorry "Spike" - someone on the Rennlist boards should be from the area and could make some suggestions.     Emanuel
--
1983 Porsche 911
1983 Porsche 944

Is this 944 still on its original engine??? Pretty amazing if it is.
Hostile 17 wrote:

If it has no resale value, then why are you paying $2600 for it? It should be free!
:)
--Mike
You can find a good 1987 Porsche 944 w/110,000 miles for about $2,500 on Ebay. There was one in the paper here (Colorado Springs) for the same price. I bought a 1987 924S off Ebay for $1,800. Took another $500 in work to repair a front crank seal leak (new seal) and new timing/cam belts--runs great and drives like a dream.
$2,600 for the 944 you mentioned is robbery....he's robbing you.
Mike Osborn

If you get this car, be sure to get a personalized license plate for it: MNY PIT
Seriously, it doesn't sound like this car has been well cared for and you will be putting a lot of money into it, probably more than you can make it worth, over the coming months or years. Getting it checked out before you buy would be money well spent.