Replacing CV Axle

I had an axle crack about 2.5 years ago. Replaced the hub assembly with a used unit and replaced the CV axle with a new one from Shucks. Recently began to hear clicking while turning and figured the CV joint had gone bad again. Seemed pretty early for it to go bad. Replaced the CV axle with 2 re-manufactured axles from Knechts and 2 Toyota axles from junkyard. They all seem to be fine for a bit and then start making noise.

Is there something I'm missing or am I just incredibly unlucky with axles? Everyone I talke to says these axle joints don't fail very often.

Car is '88 Toyota Camry with 145,000 miles.

Thanks for any help.

pete

Reply to
Pete Giordano

Given the variety of halfshafts you tried the problem may be excessive freeplay in the engine/tranny mounts. One of the checklist items on the instruction sheet that comes with a new halfshaft would be to check the engine and transmission mounts. If these mounts are worn the excess freeplay will stress the boots, tearing them early.

Are the clicking halfshafts' boots torn? Do you notice any binding when you check the removed halfshafts? just want to make sure it's not something else clicking. The new halfshafts you got from Shucks should be Cardone Select? They carry lifetime warranty.

Reply to
johngdole