89c4 question

I was looking at 85-88 911 convertibles. I do think I will end up with one. Would like to spend under 20K.

Anyway, I was told how great the carerra's are (better then sc) I am confused by the 89c4. Seems to have a different body and a bigger engine. Actually it does. That makes it more like the next generation carerra... right?

So please give some info on the above.

Finally, in terms of fun, which is better the 2wd or 4wd, how about performance.

Is the 89 carerra 2 the same style as the 88 with a larger engine and some other stuff or was it changed like the c4.

Which is the car to look for and own 89 c4 or 88 carerra.

Thank you so much.

Soon soon

Reply to
rebco10

Easy! Well, sorta. 1987 was the year they introduced the Getrag G50 transmission. It's worth the upgrade, but $20k should be close for a nice one.

80's Carrera's are not necessarily better than the SC, just newer. More power and more comforts make those parts better, but the SC (Super Carrera) engine was built with a turbo low end, so the engine is quite durable. It's a great beginner 911.

Yup. The 89C4 was the next iteration of the 911 (Type 964) while the two-wheel drive car was still the old model 911 (and a great car).

Everything else being equal, the two-wheel drive car will tend to be faster in a straight line while the all-wheel drive will handle better. What sort of driving experience are you looking for?

The 89C2 was based on the old 911 3.2l variant while the 89C4 was the newer 964 with the 3.6l motor.

What do you want? It's a personal choice. I'd use the 89C4 for a nice track or snow car any day, but if it were a daily driver on the highway, I'd likely choose the 88. Mostly because I like the earlier body style more than the 964 lines. Many other folks seem to too, as prices hold high for them.

Regards,

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to