Installing Edelbrock MPFI - which fuel pump?

Hi there,

I am about to install an Edelbrock MPFI on my AMC 360-powered-CJ-7. The system only comes with a high pressure EXTERNAL pump to be installed near the gas tank at the lowest position possible...

I have been reading lots of good info here about the problems of running only an external high pressure fuel pump... The question is: Is it a good idea to install an intermediate low pressure/high volume EXTERNAL fuel pump to feed the high pressure pump? Or is it better to try to adapt an intank pump on my 20 gal poly tank? If the in-tank pump is the way to go, which one (brand/capacity) would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance

- Pablo

1981 CJ-7 Laredo 360V8 2000 WJ Laredo QD 4.7V8 2002 Isuzu Trooper 3.2 V6
Reply to
pablorCJ7

Does a YJ tank fit here? If so, I would use the tank and pump from one.

External high pressure pumps don't suck. That is why they don't work very well with FI systems. My '77 Bug had one of the early systems. The external pump had an inlet of at least 12mm. It was straight down from the bottom of the tank, to the pump inlet. Any other configuration, and you are begging for problems with the inlet losing its prime.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

From what I understand, the issue is the tank design. There is no baffle around the pickup so when you do a corner or a hill with less than quarter a tank in it it can suck air and stall out the engine.

I do not know if any pumps can make up for this or if you would need to fit a new/old tank with the pump.....

I know the return line goes into a cooling jacket on a lot of pumps, but do not know if there is a gas pickup in this jacket.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I vaguely remember an aricle that I read several years ago that dealt with this same sort of thing. The guy that did it took the bigger Wrangler tank and turned it around 180 degrees so that he could use the filler location of the CJ. Before installing the tank, he removed the fuel pump/sender pice from the tank, cut the old pump free and soldered a newer, higher volume pump in it's place. Using the Wrangler tank gave him an easy hook-up for fuel return lines as well as the in-tank baffle. You don't need a baffle inside but any hard cornering or driving on an incline could starve the fuel pump when the tank level is low. Ideally, the fuel pump should be in the tank for longer life, the fuel helps to keep them cool. That's why the OEM people put them there. Here is something similar with a stock CJ tank.

"pablorCJ7" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
J White

Thanks for that link. That's exactly what I was looking for.

- Pablo

Reply to
pablorCJ7