disco weak fuel pump?

I was driving on the highway with a low tank of gas 1/8, and was frequently loosing power. Occasionally I would loose power for a bit but then it would be fine with plenty of gas in tank.Slow speeds dont seem to be a problem. I have posipressure when I loosen the cap. Do I need a new fuel pump? Thanks PG

Reply to
news

I'd change any/all fuel filters as a first step. The fuel pumps tend to either work or not as a rule.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 27 Mar 2006 03:10:27 GMT, "news" enlightened us thusly:

if this is a V8 with the tank in the pump then I've had one start to go slow so that it wouldn't run right, eventually it wouldn't run at all. Unfortunately the pump unit is not cheap.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
news

If the pump is inside the tank then that also has a fuel filter on it's inlet. I had one of these pumps on the 90 that stopped providing enough fuel. Up to

35mph and slow acceleration then OK over that or heavy right foot and stutter... stop....wait a bit and start again.
Reply to
Bob Hobden

Hi News,

As yours is a V8 has it been recalled to have a new fuel tank fitted?

I have a '96 model that was recalled last year for a tank change due to cracking of the tank connections.

It was also found that the pump mounting had cracked and the vent pipe to the carbon cannister had collapsed, all were replaced free of charge under the recall.

You should not have positive pressure in the tank, it should be neutral as the tank is positively vented via the carbon cannister to the plenum chanber on engine startup.

First step change the fuel filter, fuel delivery pressure can be checked using the test port on the main fuel injector rail on the right hand side of the engine ( looks like a tyre valve), with the engine running at idle.

HTH

Lofty

Lofty

...and news spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Assuming this is a late-ish V8 (apologies and ignore the following if not), but this may be a "feature". I had this a few times in my 4.6 RR - loss of power when low on fuel. It still ran OK, didn't stall or anything, but just felt like it had lost 4 of the 8 cylinders, especially uphill or with a load on the hook..

I had a word with an LR-trained mechanic and he reckoned it might have been a limp-home type of feature - if you let the tank get too low (having ignored the low fuel light for 20 miles), it stops you using so much. I had to let mine get down to a needle's thickness off the E mark before this would happen, but it happened quite predictably (and with no ill effects) several times.

Maybe, maybe not.

Reply to
Richard Brookman