Advice for a soon-to-be Owner?

I'm getting very serious about buying a Boxster and I'm hoping someone can give me advice. It seems I can get a late model ('99, 2000) in the mid-to-high-thirties or a new 2003 in the mid-forties. What's the better deal?

The price difference between new 2003 and used 2000 seem closer than what I see with other cars. I didn't want to spend the bigger money but it seems I'm getting a lot better value. Any advice?

Thanks...

Reply to
WebGuy

I don't know the "right" answer to your question. However, having gone through this very same dilemma, I opted on paying a little more for a 2003 Boxster. The '03s have the glass window and glove compartment (both not a HUGE deal, but very nice. They also have the gray lenses, as opposed to orange.

Plus, it was pointed out that the front spoiler was redesigned (in '03?) giving it a more sporty look. I found my favorite color combination, and made the move.

Good luck!

-Admiral

Reply to
Admiral

Don't forget to factor in the warantee you'll get.

Doing a quick check

there's a big spread of prices from '99s offered is lower twenties to 2000s (S's) at lower 40s!

If you want a pristine car and no worries, get the new one. If you're willing to take time shopping, drive used and pay for repairs, go used and save $10k or more.

I would check aropund for repair records on model years. The earlier models had some issues. (Anyone?)

Glen

WebGuy wrote:

Reply to
G Larson

I think you can get the price down for a used '99 or '00 from the mid to high 30s. That price range seems high to me.

Also, the rule of thumb is you need to set aside -- just in case -- 10% the purchase price of a used car to take care of things that you will find need taking care of once you have bought the car.

Now, if your pre-purchase check out of the car and a pre-purchase inspection were very thorough, you may not need all or even some of that

10%...

My point is that if you factor in the 10% emergency funds you are very close to the purchase price of a new '03 Boxster, though option choice can drive the price of the new car way up in one big hurry.

After shopping used Boxsters I ended up -- in Jan. 2002 -- making a pretty good deal on a new '02, getting the car for around $5000 under MSRP.

But used Boxster prices are down quite a bit from then, so you could still find a very good '00 or '01 even and make a heck of a deal.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

WebGuy wrote:

Reply to
Marc Warden

"WebGuy" wrote

I bought a '00 Boxster - Ocean Blue, Savannah Beige Leather, heated seats, a couple of other options - for $30K back in March. That was in Sacramento, CA. Pretty good deal; might have been worth a couple of K more. It had 36K miles - a little high but not out of line.

The 2000 is more desirable (than a '99) due to a minor engine upgrade that year - better seals, a few more ponies. The 2000 also has/had a year left on warranty.

Porsche CPO cars are *very* expensive, from what I have seen - but you do get that 100K warranty.

Personally, I'd buy one like I did - check out cars.com (already mentioned), autotrader.com and kbb.com, find several that look good then go check them out. I live in Seattle and just flew down and bought the one that looked best. $30K was probably the best price for a '00 that I saw. Some people were asking *way* too much for their "baby".

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

In addition to taking care of the car, if you want to protect your vehicle from the wear, friction, noise and costly engine problems. to make your engine oil cleaner. to reduce engine wear and friction. to extend your engine or transmission life.

then, check this out,

BE