CD Player

I have a 1986 944 with the original Blaupanke (spelling way off) stero system. I would like to upgrade with a modern stero system but dont want a cheesy looking after market radio to mess up the look of my interior. Is it possible to fit in a Porsche factory CD player from a Boxter or 996?

Reply to
Hollywood Harry

Devils944

Okay I guess I dont really follow you here. Sorry. Are you saying all I need to do is find a Blaupunkt CD face and swap it with mine? That sounds like a good idea, but I really had in mind a newer Porsche stero, do you know if it would fit in the space where my factory radio sits? I live a mile away from a Porsche dealer so i'm thinking they might just sell them out of the parts department.

Reply to
Hollywood Harry

Hey Harry-

Just go to

the Blaupunks & Beckers are DIN size head units, everybody makes DIN sized units. Find one who's style matches your interior with the spec & watts you like. Crutchfields prices are OK and they will supply you with a plug and play harness. Very...very simple

God Luck!! Steve

Reply to
pcarfan

I know what you mean. Most of the Japanese arcade-game stuff looks very out of place in a 944. Porsche used rebadged Alpines in the early 90s, and from about 96-on use Beckers. Any of these will fit, physically, as they are all DIN-sized units. IMHO, the late-90s Becker stereos match the appearance of the later 944 and 968 dash better than the original Blaus did!

Electrically, you will need to order an installation kit from Crutchfield (about $10.) This will provide the proper 'reverse' power and 2-pin DIN speaker connectors so that you won't need to cut up your cars wiring harness. (Splice the harness from the new stereo into the reverse connectors. Then 'plug n play'.)

Oh, and make sure there is switched power on the 'power antenna' lead, so that the preamp for your windshield antenna works. Otherwise you will get lousy radio reception. This is a very common problem.

Walt - 86 944 NA w/Becker stereo

-...- Walt Spector (w6ws at earthlink dot net)

Reply to
Walter Spector

And has the right colour display to match your instrument lighting.

Reply to
Paul Spencer