cd player - not working

1995 740i

---------- about 1 yr ago the factory radio ( C23) stopped working managed to find a C23 radio on ebay, removal/installation was real easy

about 6 months ago, the 6 cd changer (in the truck) was not playing after pushing the CD button the the radio

checked the front/back fuses for the radio and cd player, as well as the fuse on the radio, all were OK. The cd player has power, I'm able to eject the cd holder and reinstall it. After inserting it, I do hear the 6 cd's being accessed

also checked the wires attached to the CD player to make sure they were all tight, and connected

questions ... does the radio (C23) control the CD player, or does the MID (underneath the radio) have anything to do with the operation of the cd player ....are there any other connections/wires that affect the playing ....could I just have a bad CD play button ( all other buttons work OK)

tks / rj

Reply to
rjk

I would give you 10 to 1 odds that the problem is mechanical, affecting the CD player unit. CD transports are by far the most common failure. You might get lucky and have it just be dust on the laser. There are cleaning CD's available, or you may be able to (carefully) blow the dust away from the transport with an air compressor.

You got pretty good service out of it tho, really.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Barnett

that's one of the thoughts I has as well CD Players are surely more "fragile" than radio's will try a CD Cleaner and see what happens

Reply to
rjk

"rjk" wrote

Although the transport mechanism is often at fault, the fact that it changes the cd's indicates it's ok.

The most likely problem (for all cd players) is that the laser has burned out or otherwise failed. They're not hard or expensive to replace, but it's hard to find places to actually work on them.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

The CD changers are mechanical nightmares. I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they came up with that thing. I would strongly suspect the CD changer has failed.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey