GAINING ACCESS TO A FLAT BATTERY IN A 1998 BOXSTER

I can't gain access to a flat battery on my 1998 Boxster as the bonnet release is electric, anyone know how to get this bonnet opened, i've contacted my local Porsche dealer but he suggested removing the left front wheel and weather guard to see if i could release the bonnet latch by pulling on the cable, this is a non starter as the lock nut for the wheel is also under the bonnet.

Ive tried to remove the plastic sill cover around the bonnet & boot levers without success, i even was prepared to break the cover but it just wont come off at all, please help!

Reply to
RAB

"RAB" wrote

Hmmm. Neither front or rear on our 2000 Boxster is electric - both releases near the driver's seat are manual.

Have you tried attaching a battery charger to the cigarette lighter to power the electronics?

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I saw an article in 911 and porsche world (probably) that advised carrying around a small 12V battery to plug into the lighter socket to power the boot (trunk) release and access the main battery, so a good way forward with less potential to damage your car.

Ben

Reply to
Big Ben

Were do you get these chargers that charge via the cig lighter, i thought that you couldn't charge a battery this way?

Thanks

Reply to
RAB

I tried a cig adapter with my battery charger to try what you suggested but it hasn't worked either?

Thanks

Reply to
RAB

Ive tried your suggestions already anymore helpful hints? Thanks

Reply to
RAB

Jack up the car, get a portable car starting pack, you know the 50.00 variety? Attach to positive post on starter and ground to frame??

Reply to
Vern

Reply to
Vern

Heck, my '83 is 20 years old and that's how it works. I found out last week when I tried to run one of those little tire-inflating compressors. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Uh, which 83?

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Ok, before i buy one of these booster packs to connect to the starter motor, are you telling me that the cig adapter connected to a battery charger with the ignition switched turned on will charge the battery?

Thanks

Reply to
RAB

I believe my 2003 Boxster has a connector for just this reason in the drivers kick panel (the one near your left foot).

If there is a relay that is used to apply power to the lighter socket, you will not be able to back drive the power as there is no way for the power to get to this relay going through the lighter socket.

You can backfeed power through any lights that you can get to -- not sure if you can get to the brake lights, but how about the dome lights?

Dan,

Reply to
Dan

RAB,

If you look in your owner's manual it will tell you how to open the front trunk when the battery is dead. There are two ways, one is with a hidden cable and the other is using jump start battery and removing the left hand kick panel on the drivers side. I have an '01 Boxster and they explain how to do it in my manual so I assume it will be there for the '98.

Good luck - time for a drive...

Mike

RAB wrote:

Reply to
Mikel L. Matthews

Mike, I've tried already what uve suggested without any luck, my hand book does not cover opening the bonnet with a flat battery, ive just tried to charge the battery via the cig lighter and that hasn't worked either!

RAB

Reply to
RAB

  • Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr.
  • Newsgroup: alt.autos.porsche
  • Reply to: All; "RAB"
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:42:57 -0400
  • Subj: Re: GAINING ACCESS TO A FLAT BATTERY IN A 1998 BOXSTER ======================================================================

R> Mike, R> I've tried already what uve suggested without any luck, my hand R> book does not cover opening the bonnet with a flat battery, ive R> just tried to charge the battery via the cig lighter and that R> hasn't worked either!

R> RAB

It would be hard to imagine that removing the main (thickest) + (Positive) cable from the starter solenoid, and connecting the + (Positive) battery charger lead to it (The cable, not the starter solenoid)...while connecting the - (Negative) battery charger lead to a solid chassis ground point, wouldn't charge the battery enough to open the hood (Bonnet).

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.