Goodbye my 911, I won't miss you.

I am a very happy person today.

Why?

Because I finally got rid of my 2000 911, a horrible piece of junk I was stupid enough to have bought new four years ago. I replaced it with a properly engineered automobile - a 2001 BMW M5 with the Dinan S2 upgrades.

Farwell me 911, I won't miss you. You are barely better than a Honda Civic.

You aren't terribly good looking. Your parents have style; you have none.

You're badly designed. You don't even have a glove compartment.

You drive about as well as the Taurus I rented last week from Hertz. Let me correct that: I think that the Taurus is faster.

You're noisy, unreliable, and expensive to repair.

You feel cheap. Your doors are light. You are made of plastic.

No wonder Porsche has the highest profit margins in the automobile industry - selling Hondas for $80,000 is a profitable business to be in.

Porsche, you can keep your Boxsters and your Cayennes, you can keep the

911 that is the shadow of what this car once was.

There was a time when I said I would never drive a car other than a Porsche. The 911 was my second Porsche; the first was a 1988 944. That

944 has a lot more soul than my 911 will ever have. I am gone from Porsche for good. Good riddance to crap.
Reply to
dweezil

Well, as long as you aren't bitter! :-) Enjoy the M5, they're very cool cars. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

i too have found that my 944 has a lot more spirit than my 911 (912) had. but, there are many who say 944's are barely even a porsche. go figure.

Sean

84 944 Sunkis Orange
Reply to
S.C. Porsche

My 911 eats BMW's for breakfast. I will never drive anything else!!

Reply to
kk

What could have made you feel that way? In 40 years Porsche has never built a

911 that wasn't considered among the best sports cars in the world.

Wow, harsh words from a harsh critic. I gotta say, I don't think Porsche needs customers with this kind of attitude anyway. You moved onto an M5....=) I'll see in you my 911, Mr. BMW. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The 912 is not a 911. It's a 911 chassis with a toned-down suspension and a 356 motor in it. You can't make comparisons between the 912 and the 944, the 944 was a better driver's car. The 912 was for people who couldn't afford a real

911. I've driven enough BMW's to know that while they build a great car, none of them are 911 beaters, and the Z3 was never even close to making me prefer it over the Boxster. Steve Grauman
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Sadly, I haven't sold the 911 yet, so I have to drive it when the M5's in the shop!

(I am interested in selling the car - only 28k miles on it in LA - if anyone is interested. But, I don't recommend it!)

Admittedly my post was filled with attitude, but I felt the point was important to make. A 2000 911 just ain't a great car. The M5 creates the excitement I thought I'd get from the 911. Porsche has made better

911's in the past, and perhaps they are making better 911's today. But in the year 2000 - they produced a big disappointment in my book.

Steve Grauman wrote:

M5....=) I'll

Reply to
dweezil

dweezil wrote: : Sadly, I haven't sold the 911 yet, so I have to drive it when the M5's : in the shop!

: (I am interested in selling the car - only 28k miles on it in LA - if : anyone is interested. But, I don't recommend it!)

Ah, well, if it's such a bad car, I'll take it off your hands for $500

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Sadly I'm in the investment business - so I'm plenty used to selling things for more than they are worth (and sometimes, unfortunately, for less than they're worth too)...

Reply to
dweezil

Please excuse this somewhat Off-Topic response:

The 912 has earned and enjoyed a pretty decent following in it's lifetime. Of course on a smaller scale, however still comparable to the "cult-ish" fan base of the air-cooled VWs. This was a vehicle that was produced for a relatively short amount of time, and thus is beginning to appreciate in value and status. Granted, the out-of-the-hole performance is not comparable to the 911, but a 912 is quite enjoyable to drive on twisty roads just the same, quite easy to maintain and certainly attracts attention and interest from the general public still. I own a '66 912 - my first Porsche and I must write that it was a very interesting vehicle to learn about; it's history both with the "new" body style (at that time in the 60's), and the venerable flat-four pushrod engine that was Porsche's bread and butter in the 356 line up for so many years. Also interesting (and frustrating at times) in it's lineage were the changes that were made almost annually to the body and mechanicals in the early vehicles, not to mention the differences between the USA Export and European Models (heating, cooling, exhaust etc.).

Do I recall correctly that the 912 was actually introduced BEFORE the 911, to "test" the public reaction to the new body style?

While it is true that the 944 was a better driver's car (comfort, handling and performance and oh yeah, HEAT), the old 912s still sort of represent the old "true sports car" theme for many people; small, not terribly comfortable for those over 6' in height and somewhat loud.

Thanks for the indulgence, all ~

- Bill Schmidt '66 Porsche 912 '74 MB 240D

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

:> : (I am interested in selling the car - only 28k miles on it in LA - : if :> : anyone is interested. But, I don't recommend it!) :> :>

:> Ah, well, if it's such a bad car, I'll take it off your hands for : $500 :>

:> -- :> John Nelson

: Sadly I'm in the investment business - so I'm plenty used to selling : things for more than they are worth (and sometimes, unfortunately, for : less than they're worth too)...

Well, I hope your not holding lots of oil futures at $60/barrel...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Well, there are literally millions of experienced drivers, including myself, who find that to be a silly and obtuse claim. But it's your car and you money so drive whatever you like. The last M car I thought had anything on a 911 in terms of raw sportiness was the 4-cylinder 88-91 M3. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I'm a huge "Porscheophile", and I love nearly everything they've made throughout the years. I find the 912 to be an interesting vehicle and a historical piece of value. I admit, I wouldn't mind owning one, both a older carbureated version and a newer fuel injected 912 E. But it isn't really compareable - as a sports car - to the 944, especially the 944 Turbo. In fairness, the 911 isn't quite the sports car that the Carrera GT is, either. ;-) Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I'll beat that offer of $500.00! I'll give $550.00! I have an 84 928 with

85K that will smoke it but it might be fun until I sell it for a nice profit!!

Roger

Reply to
Success-Productions

Steve- next time you're in LA let me know - I suspect you haven't driven an M5 with the Dinan S2 upgrades before. I promise that if you take it for a spin you'll be begging for a longer ride... and trust me, I've gotten "oohs and aahs" from passengers in this car that the

911 never produced - that's not an obtuse claim but an objective fact.
Reply to
dweezil

Los Angeles or Louisiana? I live in L.A.

Well then this isn't a fair comparison, is it? I could slap VF Engineering's supercharger onto a 2002 911 3.6 and have a car that's lighter weight and more powerful the a 996 Turbo. And I promise it'll "ooh" and "aah". Hell, I've been in a modified 944 Turbo that'll blow the doors off a 2003 M5. I'm sure your Dinan modified M5 is easy to compare to a stock 911... Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Your 1984 928 will smoke a 996? Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I'm sort of sympathizing with the disparaging statements a little. Two years ago or so I test-drove a 2000 Tip, and it felt weak, cheap and tired compared to my '97 993. The brand new 2003's at the time were better, but I decided to wait. I'm now waiting for the 997 cabs to come out.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Halikias