My Porsche purchase update :)

You might recall that I'd posted a couple of times on advice about buying either of a 944, 928 or 968, having found used car listings here in Dubai within the price range that I was interested in.

Well, the other day I chanced to meet up a German guy who was formerly a mechanic at a Porsche dealership in Germany. He runs an auto garage of his own here. His eyes popped out when I mentioned my interest in buying one of the old models, muttering that I was either mad or joking. He was very categoric in his counsel - buy a 911 of whichever vintage or nothing at all. "No other Porsche is worth taking the trouble that you'll certainly be put through, even Boxsters" were his words (Boxsters should be very warily viewed because of transmission issues, he said). "Unless you've a lot of money or are a vintage car fan, don't even look at those older Porsches", he said in parting.

Just thought I'd let you know but since I so seem to want a Porsche no matter what, I might still settle for a 928 :)

Ramapriya

Reply to
D Ramapriya

I've followed your posts...

The mechanic you ran into is obviously very "old school"...meaning that he doesn't think any car is a real Porsche except for the 911 series. I would question that as I have owned 914's, 914-6's, 924, 924 T, 944, 944T, and

911's from 72, 73, 74, 76, 78, 88, 01. Each car has its own pluses and minuses.

He is correct in one aspect: All the older cars are going to need a lot of TLC (or tender loving care) as we say in the "States". They're going to be expensive to keep up...and parts and mechanics with any knowledge of the older 911's are both expensive and sometimes hard to find.

The 928 was an impressive car...probably ahead of its time; however, as they have aged there can be some really hard to solve technical problems, mostly in the sensors, wiring and electronics, and not too many technicans know how to solve these. Before buying a used one, you should be willing to pay for an intensive prepurchase technical inspection by a mechanic who has the proper equipment and knows 928's very well.

Oh...when I was at the factory about 20 years ago, we watched them building

928's and I can tell you from that experience why it's so hard to do some of the service work...especially if you have to remove the engine, etc. In assembly, the complete body with wiring and electronics was lowered down onto the rolling chassis with the drivetrain already installed.

Regards from Texas....

Reply to
Guru