Lo's of smoke from 944!

Coming home from the store tonight I decided to take the longer way and enjoy the nice evening. I hadn't stretched my cars legs for a while so coming up my road I accelerated normally, not full throttle and just let the engine spin up to 5500 rpm and then I costed up to the next stop sign. Sounded nice I thought, and then I looked in my rear view mirror and was horrified to see a white smoke screen that could have been left by James Bond's car. It was pretty bad. Now, the car doesn't burn oil, the level on the dipstick has literally not changed from when I put new oil in this January. I turned it off and started it back up, a puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust but that was it. Drove it around the block and didn't see any more white smoke, but I was too afraid to rev it up again. Side note, the engine seems to run great although it does have a slight coolant leak, when I come out in the morning there will be a small puddle the size of a quarter. I thought I was set for summer. What am I into?

Reply to
Paddington

I had a similar problem with my 85/1 944. After about 20 mins of city driving, white smoke was blowing everywhere. Everyone on the road was trying to stay away from me, it was so bad. When I attempted to add coolant and water, it all leaked out on the ground as fast as I was adding it. It turned out my radiator cracked, and I had to have it replaced.

I suspect you have a blown radiator or a blown head gasket. Is there water coming out from the tailpipe too? Also, check the oil-filler cap and see if it has a milkshake like appearance. If it does, then that's a sign of a blown head gasket.

Reply to
Sm704

Well thanks for the help guys, and it turns out to be the head gasket. I just pulled the oil cap off and it was milkshake city. Today the car started with no smoke, and at 4500 gave no smoke out the back, so I had my hopes up for a bit. Oh well that's life. How many hours labor will it take a shop to replace it?

Reply to
Paddington

Reply to
william_b_noble

It's been so long since I've been behind the wheel of a Porsche that I'm at the point where I'd change the gasket in exchange for some Porsche time. Is it possible to get withdrawal? Years ago I owned a 924 and then a 944 and then when I got married they were both sold, last summer I was able to take out by Uncles 1990 911 SC, and this didn't seem to help with the withdrawal. Any chance your 944 is in Southern Ontario?

Reply to
HotRod

My '87 944 Turbo just experienced the same thing. I was going down the highway and I stepped on the gas to pass a semi and I heard a muffled "pop" and a huge plume of white smoke started pouring out from behind my car. I looked at my gauges right when it happened and everything looked normal. I made it home (about 5 miles) and parked the car. I popped the hood and noticed the engine bay was soaked with coolant. Thinking it was just a hose, I started removing them one by one inspecting them as I went. I didn't find a single crack or split so I don't know where all of the coolant came from. I decided to drain the oil and check for coolant mixed with the oil and sure enough all that came out was a light-brown milkshake. I just spent over $8000 to have a new engine put in and it would really suck if the head gasket blew already! I heard you should replace the rod bearings if this happens as well. If I were to replace the head gasket myself, what are the steps for replacing it? Aside from a new gasket what other parts will I need? Do I need new head bolts as well?

Reply to
Steve Ebel via CarKB.com