Re: can bumper covers be repaired perfectly by a good body shop?

Paul,

There are a lot of auto enthusiasts here who I'm sure have some very strong opinions. But this really is a personal choice and I suspect there can be regrets either way you go. You have to the make the choice for yourself. Nevertheless, keep in mind that you are the injured party in this deal and don't let yourself become a victim twice. Personally, I'd go for the new cover, but that's just me. And I suspect by your use of the phrase "repaired perfectly" that you will likely harbor doubts with anything less.

I just got my first scratch on my 02 boxster s. > > A lady behind me at the stop light got distracted and rolled her > moutainous suv into me. I took my boxster to the body shop recommended > by the local porsche dealer, and to another shop, and both quoted > about $1K to replace the rear bumper cover with a new one and to paint > it. > > The lady who hit me asked if I'd consider going to her bodyshop and > having them repair it rather than getting a new bumper cover. (She > doesn't want to go through insurance I guess.) > > If I want to be a nice guy, should I consider this? Or am I crazy? > > How good a job can a good body shop do these days repairing the new > composite bumper covers? Her body shop guy seemed reasonable and made > claims that they use heat and special chemicals to form a bond that > will be perfect and will flex just like the rest of the bumper cover > etc. > > Any advice appreciated. > > --Paul
Reply to
Rory

Paul, what colour is your car ? that is an important consideration, cos some colours/paints are more difficult to match than others

if you want to be a nice guy, i suggest this, get it done at the lady's shop, but seek additional $200-300 cash compensation, enough for a paint job in future if necessary

John'

"Paul English" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
jkk

A decent shop can have it look like a new bumper. Either way, it will look the same, but the choice of which way to go is up to you.

Reply to
Brad

Arctic silver.

Hmm, maybe I can tell her I'll do this if her body shop will give me a written lifetime guarantee against material or labor defects....

Or maybe I'll tell her just get me the new cover. I feel bad about this, as the dent is really small, but I don't want my otherwise

*perfect* car to have a defect, given the car value and how good care I take of it.

(Now, if she hit my Subaru instead, I wouldn't have even taken her name... :)

--Paul

Reply to
Paul English

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Paul, my experience was that the repaint on my car was not perfect after a few months it is possibly due to a poor quality paint material

the dent is small, but it is very bad for your re-sale price