Re: timing belt question

I heard that the timing belt on the 944 is most likely to break while the

> car is at idle? Is this true? To me it makes more sense that it would break > while the engine was at high revs. Also is there anyway to inspect a timing > belts condition? > > > >
Reply to
Devils944

My belt went when I shut down the engine in the garage after a thirty mile ride. Took out three valves but my extended warranty covered the $1,200. to replace them. Regards, Byron

Reply to
Byron

My timing belt failed at speed (60 MPH) at about 30K. It was very apparent. The saving grace was that when I brought it in for repair, the tech noticed that my timing belt had 2 teeth missing (potential for major cylinder head damage). These are some of the reasons why I stopped buying Porsches. Good luck.

Reply to
magicrat

Shit can happen to any car with a timing belt at any speed.

It all depends upon the condition of the timing belt and the rollers.

This happened to my wee 944, and what a mess. 11 teeth striped, and

bent valves.....ouch. All I can recommend is to make sure your service

center (or you) change the timing belt every 3 years, or around 40,000Ks.

My service center didn't change the belt because I did very little k's

over the years, and let it slide until age got to it. 5 years is too old

for a belt that costs nothing and yet can cause AUD$5000+.

I know 40,000 sounds too little, but the belt costs almost nothing and

there isn't too much labor involved to upset you too much. Better safe

than sorry.

Otherwise, buy a 911, cos this will never happen!!

Reply to
Wee Jimi

clark's garage has some photos on this:

-bryan

Reply to
bryan

Once again, it falls into the category of how much you pay attention to your car. First off, there are now aftermarket belts that are cheaper, but break down faster. Second, it is not hard to track your miles and/or time between belt changes to gauge belt condition. I inspect mine whenever I get the chance and my mechanic always has a look when I bring her in for anything. Very cheap insurance.

I asked my shop a few years back had they ever seen a perfectly good belt just break for no reason and they said "no". The belt breaks they saw were usually dry rot versions due to our hot dry climate here in SoCal. Most of the cases they see are newbies that take the word of the previous owner or lot they bought it from that everything is good. As soon I see any cracking on mine, they get replaced.

Reply to
Devils944

You bring up a very good point.

I have two 944s, and the first thing I did to both cars was to change the timing and balance belts.

I learned my lesson with an '86 Renault Aliance (only thing I got to keep besides the bills after a real nasty divorce) when the timing belt let go at

63K miles.

4 bent valves and $200.00 in head work, and the engine never did run right.

Reply to
Porsche944