Trip Odometer resets itself

Car is a Boxster S 2001. It looks like the trip odometer decided to reset itself on its own; just before it happened it was reading 25.6 miles. I
stopped to go to the store and after I resumed driving I noticed that the odometer was reading 2.6 miles. Does anyone have an explanation / experience with this behavior?.
P.S. Today was real hot in the Virginia / Washington DC area.
Tony