WTF "New" Tundra tripmeter showing A LOT more miles than the odometer???

My wife and I bought a new 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax Limited two weeks ago. When we drove it off the lot it was showing 12 miles on the odometer. It's a beautiful truck, no doubt about it.

Yesterday, for the first time, I pressed the trip meter button and... GOTCHA!... the tripmeter's showing 4800 miles!

What's going on? We've only driven the truck 440 miles since buying it. Do these things ship from the factory with a bunch of miles showing on the tripmeter, but not the odometer? Why would they do that?

Or... did the bastards roll back the odometer (but forget to reset the tripmeter) and sell me a used truck as new? It did have a 4" dent in the front passenger door when we bought it. They told me it happened when it came off the car carrier. I let them fix it and didn't raise a fuss about it. But now I'm thinking maybe I should have.

Finally, what should I do now? Should I go back and raise holy Hell about it and demand a new truck, contact the state attorney general's office and complain that the dealership defrauded us, what?

F**K!!!

Reply to
Lemonhead

Take pictures of it in case you accidentally reset it, then contact the attorney general for advice.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Just a thought, before you call Lionel Hutz, Esq...

The trip odo has a decimal, the main display does not. 480 miles will look like 4800 if you don't notice the decimal point, or if the decimal is somehow not displaying.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I would start by contacting John Aschcroft, the FTC and the UN general counsel.

Seriously, I would think that the trip odometer was not properly set at the factory. I would just take it back to the dealer and as the service people about it. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

PS, I Att. Hutz has been busy recently. He was too busy to be in the Simpsons Movie, which, BTW, is excellent.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I can't wait to see it! My wife is away and I had to promise that I'd wait until she returned, so she could go with me.

"With every lawsuit, a free faux pearl necklace..."

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I'm pretty sure that Bonehenge has the correct answer!

Reply to
Ray O

Even just 480 is STILL more than 440 on the main odometer...you know.

Reply to
sharx35

True... without seeing the truck myself, I'm only making guesses like everyone else here.

Reply to
Ray O

True.

Since we seem to be talking round numbers... Does it matter? Who would "roll back" an odometer over 40 miles? I'm guessing the OP may have generalized enough to make the missed decimal point the problem.

Did you notice the OP has yet to reply? Did they notice the dot?

Reply to
B A R R Y